Logo

87 FORCE 50 power problems

cosmict

"motor ran great for about 1 h

"motor ran great for about 1 hour than died out started again than ran for 5 minutes same thing.
I have since rebuilt carb started ran with some sputtering rebuilt fuel pump, new plugs, new waterpump, compression checks at 120 psi cannot
think of anything else. any help would be great.
ps everything done is by the manual}"

"It sounds like you know way m

"It sounds like you know way more about this motor than I, but I recently bought an 87 Capri with a Force 50 and haven't had it on the water yet (missing the exhaust snout) but a few things I've learned about my Force thus far: tends to flood easily (could be my carb is all wonky, but when I get it running on ears it purrs nicely) however, if I shut down for a bit and try to restart, it floods out really easy...don't know why, not using any choke.
The symptoms you describe would point to a clogged filter screen in the fuel line somewhere...perhaps the gas tank? OR an overheating issue...are you getting good water flow?
I apologize if my post is simplistic but I'm a newbie and trying to figure out my issues as well..."

"Thanks John for the reply I h

"Thanks John for the reply I have a 87 rivera with the 50 If you can't find a snout try /www.fairwindsmarina.com/chryslerpage.htm they were helpful to me on that part and hard to get parts and they shipped quick. I don't think I have a clog
I have replaced the tank fuel line and connector all force parts except tank. I've also replaced the waterpump and thermostat, rebuilt the carb and rebuilt fuel pump assembly It will Idle great but when i throttle up (in neutral) it goes then dies.
It will idle all day just not when given gas. also i found that the bulb is not hard after it dies so I'm thinking maybe a bad float? not sure but I'll keep asking. if you rebuild your carb I would suggest a manual also take note of how spring is on float bowl before removing shaft pin as this might be my own problem hope it helps thanks"

Back