Logo

TDMA41A Oil Cooler woes

• Thread starter Rich Sutherland
  • Start date
R

Rich Sutherland

"My 41a (actually an AQAD4

"My 41a (actually an AQAD41A) would slowly overheat when running at higher rpms. After reading all the posts on this informative forum, I checked the intake, lines and pumps, then replaced the thermostats which helped a bit but it would still overheat over 3300 or so. I decided to pull the oil cooler and the heat exchanger off to rod them out. I found the problem, previous owner had bolted the heat exchangers big circular cover in wrong position and broken off 2 of the 3 separator fins and 20% of the tubes were clogged. Hopefully I can figure out where those fins go and the proper position for that cover.

My big problem is that when I tried to pull the cover off of the oil cooler 3 of the 4 bolts heads twisted off because of corrosion between the steel bolts in the aluminum housing. It also looks like there is a lot of corrosion on the back end where the copper core comes back though. I think that if I could get the tubed copper core out, I could heat the housing enough to get whats left of the stuck bolts out. I know if I heat it with the core in, it will melt the O ring.

So my questions are how does one take the oil cooler apart? I can't seem to get the copper core out.
How does one re-seal the back side?

If someone has a used oil cooler for a 41 in good shape, I'd sure be interested.

Here's a diagram of the oil cooler in question from the official Volvo US site:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/OIL_COOLER_838968/dm/view_id.326612--category_id. 333110--cart_id.102920845--session_id.164295346

Any assistance would be much appreciated."

sigh.....
Tube bundle core st

sigh.....
Tube bundle core still stuck in aluminum housing - broken off bolt as well.
putting the whole thing in the freezer- then going to put it in boiling water to see if I loosen things up.

"Volvo has a tool that allows

"Volvo has a tool that allows pushing on front of cooler. Have to be very careful not to crush front part of cooler. I usually put long bolts in end for support and install in press. Then supply "light" pressure on core to remove. If your case is that bad, you may be looking for a replacement. Not inexpensive from Volvo."

Back