Logo

HELP Starter wonbt turn engine 440

danny731

"Long story short- I am trying

"Long story short- I am trying to start a newly rebuilt 440. With the plugs in, the starter engages, then won't turn, and then the damn dog clutch stays engaged- I was told that these starters disengage when the engine starts- doesn't help me any....

I took the plugs out, and it turns over slowly, not too slow, but almost right about where it should be with the plugs in.

I'm trying to start it by jumping it with cables from my diesel F-350, so I'm using both batteries in parallel, you'd think that woulb be enough. Are my cables to wimpy??

HELP!! Please rely to
[email protected]"

"Brother, there is something b

"Brother, there is something bad wrong there. Did you pre-oil the motor by spinnung the oil pump with a drill motor?

Jeff"

"Jeff, no I didn't- but i

"Jeff, no I didn't- but i did turn it a bunch with the starter and no plugs installed.

Well, I got so pissed at this thing I figure if 12 volts kinda works, maybe 24 is better... So I took out both of the batteries from my truck, wired them in series with jumper cables, and it turns faster w/o the plugs in, but with them in, it STILL won't turn over, or it turns like it's on a dead battery. I just don't understand what's going on here??? My last boat I rebuilt a Chevy 350 for, and it lit right up, so I know what I'm doing. This is just so damn frustrating!!"

"OK, I'm a dummy- I bought

"OK, I'm a dummy- I bought a new battery from Wally World, and new cables, and she spins fine now. I guess my jumper cables are junk....

Thanks everyone!"

"Been there, done that! Glad

"Been there, done that! Glad it's okay now.

Jeff

PS: You're obviously an honest person to admit that."

But check this out Jeff- being

But check this out Jeff- being a Ford man with a good bit of Chevy knoweledge to boot- I didn't know that the distributor on the 440 turns counterclockwise on a "standard" engine. So it took me a while to find that the engine shop sold me a reverse starter UUGHHHHH

Arrrgh! Those parts guys'

Arrrgh! Those parts guys'll kill you everytime. I hope you didn't crank it over too long that way since the oil pump doesn't....you know.

Jeff

PS: Did you know that Chrysler sold a Ford 460 marine engine with the "Chrysler Marine" name on it? Why the hell that happened stuns me!

"Jeff, now I'm starting to

"Jeff, now I'm starting to second guess myself here- the book I have on rebuilding a Dodge big block says like in my last post, that the distributor turns counterclockwise. Please tell me then, which way os the crank, when looking at the front of the engine, supposed to turn??

I ask because the way it was turning, when looking at the front of the engine, was counterclockwise, or left hand. Is that the way a "standard" engine turns, or am I still right in thinking that it should turn clockwise? I second guess myself because (a) the cooling fan on the distributor when turning the way the starter was turning it (left hand) is situated properly, and (b) the raw water pump looks like it also turns the correct way when the crank is going left hand.

And lastly, I am going through a v-drive with aright hand prop, so I'm all confused, got smoke coming out of my ears...."

"..."I'm all confused&

"..."I'm all confused"

So am I! On a standard rotation engine the damper turns CW when viewed from the front. With a Vee drive, though... I would think it would be the same since the motor itself is turned around, and the direction of rotation changes inside the Vee drive. But....

Sheesh! Somebody pass me the aspirins!

Jeff"

"OK Jeff, I got it figured out

"OK Jeff, I got it figured out- I found a Dodge forum, where this guy was selling a 440 interceptor. Another guy asked if he had a reverse rotation engine. THe first guy asked why, and the second one said "to put in my straight shaft boat with a RH prop" So by me running a standard rotation motor, I would have to run a LH prop if I was straight shafted, but since I'm running a v-drive, I will need a standard to run a RH prop. PHEW!!!"

You said it! Good thing you d

You said it! Good thing you don't have one of those Chris-Craft assbackwards monstrousities! Einstein himself couldn't figure them out.

Jeff

"Just want to let everyone kno

"Just want to let everyone know that today I got back my newly re-wound starter, got ti slapped on. Well, with good fuel pressure, and a 2 seconf squirt of starting fluid, she started right up within 3 revolutions! I only ran it for about 5 minutes 'cause it was past 9pm, but thankfully the mufflers actually work LOL. Tomorrow I'll run it about 2000 rpm for about 1/2 hour to get the cam broken in."

"Well, now if I can just get t

"Well, now if I can just get the damn fresh water to run through the manifolds, I'd be in business- I'll start another post for that though..."

"Searching on hard start after

"Searching on hard start after rebuild and found this one. I just rebuilt both M440s (had them done...didn't do it myself like some of you guys). Also new plugs, new wires, new cap, rebuilt Carter carbs. Runs great once they're started, but takes alot of throttle pumping and lots of cranking to get a cold start. Fine warm start. What can I do to better my odds of cold starting them quicker. Batteries you say... here's the story. I have the boat on a mooring (no shore power), but I have a generator on board and I get the starting batteries up over 13 before I try to start. Is there something else I can do...timing is good...electronics...Edlebrock carbs...? Any ideas by you pros? I thought the rebuilds would help this (did it before the rebuilds too)."

Electric fuel pumps and Edelbr

Electric fuel pumps and Edelbrock carbs and you'll be in great shape. The old Carter AFBs are dogs. The Edelbrocks even get better gas mileage--about 1/2 GPH on mine (each).

Jeff

Is there really a Wally World?

Is there really a Wally World? I'm thinking of the Chevy Chase movie Vacation.

Just had to ask.

Chrysler turned to Ford for a

Chrysler turned to Ford for a big block (460) toward the end of their Marine run because they discontinued the 440 engine all together by the late '70's. Up until then they were very popular in the RV market too. I think at the time the 440 was the dominate engine in the bigger RV's so if your looking for one that might be something to check out.

"Correct. I was stunned to le

"Correct. I was stunned to learn that the "Chrysler 460 Marine Engine" was a Ford! The government forced Chrysler to part with their RV business as a condition to accept a government bail out loan--sound familiar? Naturally, their RV business was the one segment making money, but didn't matter to the heavy-handed bureaucrats. And it may happen again, because:

"Those who ignore history's teachings are bound to repeat its mistakes."

Jeff"

"That may or may not be true a

"That may or may not be true about the RV biz but remember they only built, like all manufactures, the chassis's that the bodies go on. They were in all likelyhood a 1 ton or so truck unit, so by discontinuing the 440 there was no other BB's left to use. I also heard the same reason for the demise of the marine biz but I also heard it was strictly a business decision by Iacocca.

All I know is Chrysler going to gone all together someday soon and for all their faults they will be missed."

Jeff "History is Instructi

Jeff "History is Instructive" .But we constantly fail to learn. Post the oil shock of the 1970s' The US Auto industry and hence US industry could have led the world. But!!! Catch up or caught out.

"That's a really complex i

"That's a really complex issue.

One has to fell SOME pity for the Big Three: Gas prices remained low for decades, so they build the big cars, SUVs and trucks the American people want. Gas prices go skyhigh and the American people suddenly don't want them anymore. Gas prices go back down AGAIN and now they want the big cars, SUVs and trucks again! They can't win.

Jeff"

Back