Logo

DF40 burnt in garage fire motor spontaneously burnt

mhz

"I awoke the other morning to

"I awoke the other morning to a good samaritan honking in my driveway for smoking garage. My DF40 apparently caught fire somehow by itself. The entire top cowling melted, and all wiring, electrical, etc. is gone. I imagine that the block is good, but anything rubber near the powerhead got melted or dried out. Lower end is good. The heat was so hot that the bilge pumps below melted. (This is a 16' Crestliner, heavy duty aluminum fishing boat).

There was no boat insurance, and right now it looks like the renters insurance won't cover it.

I'm trying to find out whether there is any point in trying to rebuild this motor, or would it cost just as much as a new motor? The year is 2001. I don't have the motor S/N on me right now.

The plastic cowl in the mid-section (where the pee-hole is) is warped at its top rim, but from the pee-hole downwards it still looks good as new. It appears that only the block, and the lower end are okay. Anyone have ideas about what is the best course of action in this situation? I need to have a working 4 stroke for my local lake, so I have to decide on replacement *all* external engine components, vs. sell what remains, vs. shop for another similar size 4 stroke."

"Is there any advice or ideas

"Is there any advice or ideas about cost of replacing all external engine parts, compared to just shopping for a new 4 stroke?"

ouch man that sux!!!!!!!!
pos

ouch man that sux!!!!!!!!
post some pics
you might need to look around for a long time

"Here is a pic. I guess I'

"Here is a pic. I guess I'm gonna be looking for someone who destroys their block and doesn't want to bother fixing it. Maybe they'll sell me a whole motor, and I'll put my block into theirs.

150880.jpg
DF40 Burnt

"Yeah you better look at some

"Yeah you better look at some good pics now to cheer up, or you may not sleep good tonight, like me."

"Matt,I have a 2004 df40 that

"Matt,I have a 2004 df40 that took a dip while throttled up. Bent the rods. I'm in the process of buying rods and rebuilding, but need the trim/tilt mechanism. It was sold prior to me purchasing the motor. I'd be interested in either buying your trim/tilt mechanism or possibly selling my motor. It basically looks extremely good except for the missing trim setup. I'm in Washington state."

"Well, maybe we can make a dea

"Well, maybe we can make a deal. Just FYI, in my original post I wrote year 2001, but since then I got my S/N, (04001F-031670), which I think is year 2000. I got that info from (http://store.brownspoint.com/df40.asp)

I'll reply to your other email with details, just wanted to put that year correction up here while I'm thinking about it."

Shame you are not over here in

Shame you are not over here in Aussie. I Have a DF50 that only needs an engine control unit (ECU is $1040 US). Its just sitting around. I have purchased a new Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke.

Yeah too bad...but why buy the

Yeah too bad...but why buy the new 60hp when you could have just bought the ECU? I wouldnt think moving from 50 to 60 would be much of an improvement.

"The ECU is closer to $2,000 i

"The ECU is closer to $2,000 in Aus and there are no 2nd hand ones around. I needed to get more out of my boat so I moved to the 60hp as it has a greater engine capacity and it is also much more responsive than the Suzi."

Back