Logo

Crate motor

"Like this one?

[url=""]htt

"Like this one?

http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/base/350.htm

Sure, no problem. The bellhousing bolt pattern of the 350 and 305 are identical, as well as the engine external dimensions. Just make sure that the flywheels are identical in size both in the 305 and new 350, otherwise you may need to replace bellhousing and/or starter to make it fit."

"In 1986 GM changed from two p

"In 1986 GM changed from two piece, to one piece rear main seals. This changed how the flywheels bolt to the crankshaft. Pre '86 305 & 350s ran 12 3/4" flywheels. Most likely this is the size wheel you have. The 350 crate engine posted above comes with a 14" flywheel. eBasicpower stocks a 12 3/4" flywheel that you can bolt directly to this engine for $189. No bellhousing or starter modifications are required. I replaced a tired 1977 350 with the engine posted above and LOVE it. You should see a significant performance increase if you make the swap."

"Mike, I know about the option

"Mike, I know about the optional 12-3/4" flywheel. However, I was always under the impression that flywheel, vibration damper (harmonic ballancer), crankshaft and running gear were ballanced and the sizes calculated to work together. Maybe someone has done the calculations and found that you can go down safely from 14" to 12-3/4", but I don't know about that."

"Hi El, I looked into this las

"Hi El, I looked into this last summer when I underwent my repowering (re-outdriving, re-stringering, hair-pull-out) project. A few machine shops I spoke with didn't think I would have a problem. I used the harmonic balancer that came with the crate engine and have had no issues to date. Runs very smooth."

Back