Logo

1955 15 hp whispering power fastwin

00dan

i need help with the slow and

i need help with the slow and fast speed adjustments i took apart the carb to replace the gaskets and i forgot to remember the adjustments and i cant get it to run right

"(Carburetor Adjustments -

"(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

thanks. i tried the 1 1/2 turn

thanks. i tried the 1 1/2 turns out for the slow speed it will idle high with choke on but when i turn choke off it wants to die out like its flooding... maybe its the fact that i am using god knows how old of gas

"The carburetor is fouled. Rem

"The carburetor is fouled. Remove, clean thoroughly and rebuild it using a complete new carburetor kit, available most likely at this site, any dealership, or NAPA."

carb is clean and recently reb

carb is clean and recently rebuilt the motor had sat for a few years i had to replace the gasket on the bowl. i tried again today i almost had it running right but i forgot to vent the tank so it flooded out and some black crap came out.. i think its oil seperated from the gas. gonna try fresh gas tomorrow. i also couldnt get the motor to rev all the way up in gear???/

i dont feel i need to spend th

i dont feel i need to spend the extra money on a rebuild kit. everything is spotless in that motor. when i tore the carb apart there was no gunk buildup the sediment bulb was spotless the jets are clean are these motors worth anything?

"Carb from 1955, been messing

"Carb from 1955, been messing with old fuel, want to try new fuel: Guess You will soon run into gasket troubles and even dissolving fuel lines.
A 'dead' motor is worthless, but a working one as much as a 'new' one."

I was reading this post good i

I was reading this post good info Joe but I was wondering how you vent a Pressure tank with old gas

"pressure tank,is not vented t

"pressure tank,is not vented to outside...it is 'pressurized',from eng.old gas--dump it,properly..."

tore the carb apart cleaned it

tore the carb apart cleaned it up running like a champ now. i found out that parts arent made and/or cant be found for my motor so i took it in my own hands bababababa im lovin it

"I have an evinrude twin power

"I have an evinrude twin power, it's an older outboard motor. I believe it's a 15hp. The serial number on the motor is 10024b-08671. It starts up after a number of hard pulls, when it does start up it seems to work fine on high idle, but when on low I get a hard knock in the engine and then it turns off. I took off the carburator and cleaned it out, but it has 2 controls for the carburator that read LEAN and then when turned it reads SPEED. I believe one of the controls would be for the gas and other for the air in the carburator. I would like to know where they should be set. I don't know much about engines, any help would be greatly appreciated. Could this be a simple gas problem or does this sould to be a much more serious problem with the engine because of the knocking on low idle? thanks
sun.gif
"

El Gallo- Your posting should

El Gallo- Your posting should be started anew. Please find "Start new discussion" in the main discussion page. You'll get better results.

Back