Logo

Evinrude 4 hp 1983

fishhuntlots

I cant seem to get the motor t

I cant seem to get the motor to idle. No matter how I try to adjust (lean/richen) the motor it will run for a half min and than shut down. If I try to throttle up the motor shuts down.

"Remove fuel hose leading from

"Remove fuel hose leading from fuel tank to carburetor to check for a unrestricted fuel flow.

Adjust carburetor as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

If problem persists after the above, remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor, using a complete carburetor kit, then adjust as needed."

"if adjusting the carb has no

"if adjusting the carb has no effect, maybe the upper crankshaft seal (#321831) has dried out/worn out... just a thought."

I might be a little slow but I

I might be a little slow but I can't seem to be able to find the adjustment valves any where on the carb. I removed the lower cowling and have looked all over. HELP!

"# 9 is low speed adjustment n

"# 9 is low speed adjustment needle.HS is fixed,no adj...but needs to be clean......have u cleaned/rebuilt carb?"

"To avoid confusion, here is t

"To avoid confusion, here is the pick 'jwb' is referring to.
I would recommend to dismantle/clean/rebuild that carb. The fuel valve system might be a bit 'tricky'.
148720.gif
"

"I'm trying to find the co

"I'm trying to find the correct carb kit for my card. None of them match the number on carb tag. The number is 392685 - 4 - 09 - B1, also what is the plug gap for the plugs. Thanks for all the help so far."

"1983 4hp...... There are two

"1983 4hp...... There are two models, a "BR" model and a "BRH" model. You did not list a engine model number with your post. The carburetor kit numbers are as follows.

BR model : (392048 Original#) - (439070 Latest#)

BRH model: (391937 Original#) - (439072 Latest#)"

"It is a E4BRHCTD, The tab on

"It is a E4BRHCTD, The tab on the carb has a number of 392685?

Could you tell me the Plug gap?
I ordered a manuel but it hasnt been delivered yet. I hope on Tuesday. Thanks again."

Back