Logo

Bell Housing dilemma

bayboy

"Hi to all,
I have an '82

"Hi to all,
I have an '82 Bayliner Ciera 24' that I got from a friend who doesn't want to spend any money on the boat and just gave it to me. After inspecting the transom, I noticed that the Bell housing bellow was ripped off. After further inspection, the rear of the bell housing got chewed up pretty bad by the universal joint and parts of the housing broke off where the bellow mounts. After deciding I want to get the boat seaworthy, I decided to try and find a used bell housing. All I can find on the motor is that it's a 5.0 Liter GM and the bell housing has the no. 835978 stamped on it. Tried doing a search in the Volvo Penta Store and that no. doesn't show up. Not knowing the engine and drive model, I'm stuck. Anyone have any thoughts on whether there is a replacement no. for this housing??? or what type of drive is on this boat????? I have some pics if needed to be uploaded. (figured I'd save server space)"

That number of bellhousing is

That number of bellhousing is for a 305 or 350 Chevy (or for a 4.3 liter as well) with a 12-3/4" flywheel. I have two of those bellhousings: one with coarse spline shaft (10 groove) and one with fine spline (26 groove). Which one are you looking for and where are you located?

You can also upload a picture to be 100% sure.

"El,
I haven't got into t

"El,
I haven't got into the engine yet to see. Someone else had also mentioned the no. of splines to be considered also. I'm located in the U.S. in Tennessee. I hope to be able to pull the engine in the next couple of weeks. I saw the pics in another post of the crane you used. I may have to be a little more creative since I don't have access to one. One place around here wanted $850 to change it out if I brought the part to them.
I will keep in contact with you and let you know when I pull the motor. Thanks for your help.

Kevin"

"Kevin,
Often, eBay has exa

"Kevin,
Often, eBay has exactly what you are looking for, you just got to be on the ball. I replaced my bellhousing with one I got from eBay that was in perfect "used" condition. Once I received it, I replaced the bearings and seals. Here's one on ebay that's new and comes with a flex plate and other goodies. More money than I'm willing to spend but an example of what is out there. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-AQ-GM-PATTERN-BELLHOUSING-ADAPTER-KIT _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ015QQitemZ250159102784QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW D1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

This bellhousing would fit your system. If shafts are different you should be able to reuse the old shaft if it is not bent or damaged from the incident.
Good luck.
BZ"

"Just one problem with that be

"Just one problem with that bellhousing, Bobzilla: it only comes with the fine spline primary shaft and needs a pilot bearing at the crankshaft end. The pilot bearing is not a problem to install if it is not there, but to the best of my knowledge you cannot adapt a coarse spline style primary shaft to the bellhousing in the link you provided: as far as I know, they simply never made them. A way around would be to install a u-joint with a fine spline yoke, but then you have to so pend another $400-$500 (for a new u-joint assembly with yokes) unless you can find a fine spline yoke for the primary shaft that fits the u-joints with external circlips (which are the ones that usually come with the coarse spline yoke). Those yokes are not very common and they are usually not cheap either.

Another bit of advice: anyone who uses the style of bellhousing on the e-bay link should not use the original bearing, but rather install a sealed bearing. That style of bellhousing does not have a zerk fitting for greasing the bearing, and the only way I found to grease it after installed is to remove the outdrive and slide a flattened piece of brake line tubing between the seal and the primary shaft, then connect the other side of the tube to a grease pump.

Did I say I've been there and done that?
biggrin.gif
"

"El P,
Your correct however

"El P,
Your correct however, if you read my post again, I used that eBay auction as an example of what is out there. The part number Kevin provided is the same as the bellhousing I use (no pilot bearing) and crosses to the bellhousing in the auction. Thanks,
BZ"

"Here's a picture of the s

"Here's a picture of the stern drive if anyone can lead me in the direction of what model.
146308.jpg
"

"Kevin, that's a 280, and

"Kevin, that's a 280, and I can guarantee almost for sure it has the coarse spline in the bellhousing primary shaft unless it has been modified."

"Bobzilla, I understood yor co

"Bobzilla, I understood yor comments. Mine are just aimed at Kevin getting the correct bellhausing setting, that's all.

Cheers.
happy.gif
"

"El and Bobzilla,
I really ap

"El and Bobzilla,
I really appreciate your input. The two dealers I talked to here were not much help. This will get me started in the direction of pulling the engine and getting started. I may pick your brains later on before I pull the engine.
Thanks again for all your help."

"El and /or Bob

If the driv

"El and /or Bob

If the drive shaft bellows where to let water into the engine compartment, what would I expect to see in the upper case of the stern drive?

Kevin"

"Kevin,

The drive bellows p

"Kevin,

The drive bellows protects the u-joints and yokes from water. In a perfect world, in case of a perforated bellows, the seals in the outdrive upper gear assembly would (should) prevent the water from entering the outdrive; and the two seals in the bellhousing would (should) prevent the water from entering the engine compartment. However, in the real world, the seals in the bellhousing and outdrive will not make the engine compartment or the outdrive 100% watertight in case of drive bellows failure.

Problems with yours?"

Just preparing myself. After I

Just preparing myself. After I get the outdrive off and the bell housing replaced I'm going to check the upper and lower unit. I wasn't sure what to expect with the bellow for the shaft unit failing.

"El,

Thanks again for your

"El,

Thanks again for your help again with the bellhousing questions.
You had said you have a V8 Chevy bellhousing with course shaft (10 tooth). If you are willing to part with it what are you wanting for it? Do you have an idea on the shipping costs to Tennessee? You can shoot me an email!!!!!

Thanks"

Back