Logo

440 reverse rotation timing problems

strangle_hold

"I have a 440 reverse rotation

"I have a 440 reverse rotation that was just rebuilt with all new parts ect.
Well in putting the motor back together using the manual I followed all the directions, but the directions were for a standard rotation motor. I know the firing order for a reverse motor and that is correct and had the motor at TDC when assembling the block. My question is the book said that Distributor/ oil pump drive shaft should be parallel with the crankshaft when installed for correct timing. On reverse rotation motors does this hold true or should have been installed differently? Also the book stated that the rotor should be pointing at the number 1 cylinder location on the distributor cap when installed. Im getting severe backfire out the exhaust and carb and it will not start, so my assumption is that something is 180 out, do you have any suggestions or knowledge on this matter or any ideas how I can find out?
Thank you for your ANY help in advance,"

"The file is damaged and i can

"The file is damaged and i cannot retrieve it for some reason Dave,any other avenues of approach that you might have? I will keep trying!"

"The distributor gear is set u

"The distributor gear is set up the same way for both rotations, and the distributor/ oil pump rotate the same way. (The wires are set up on the cap in the reverse order.) If the motor backfires you might be out 180 degrees.

Jeff"

Back