Logo

SeaKing

steve_a_w

Regular Contributor
"I am looking for info on an o

"I am looking for info on an old Mont.Wards
Sea-King, model#64EA-9002A serial#381-01506.
I would like to know year, manufacture, Hp.
Thanks for any help, Steve."

"Steve there appears to be som

"Steve there appears to be something missing from the model number you posted that would pinpoint who made your motor and when.

The 9002A appears to be a model number used by Gale (OMC) in the 50's, but it would normally be proceeded by a GG. A Gale built model 9002A was a 1956, twin cylinder, 5 horse.

Other possible (prefixs) for Wards were KTV, VWB, or CED. The 64EA part doesn't show up in the listings I have (which start with 1933 models)...

If you have any other (numbers) post them and perhaps we can find a match for you..."

"Graham Lamb, thank you for yo

"Graham Lamb, thank you for your prompt reply.
I got kinda busy with a family flu bug, things finally calmed down, now I can pound away on the computor.
The motor is in my Wifes Grandpa's barn and I wont get back to it till he uses this latest batch of kindling. Anyway I found my copy of
Peter Hunn's Old Outboard Book, the picture on page 171 looks like the motor. I didnt get a look at the tank decal, but the motor looks the same. when I get some time to get back in the barn I'll double check the numbers.
Thanks again, Steve"

"1.0 HP, 1938/41, 1946/47 Buil

"1.0 HP, 1938/41, 1946/47 Built by Gale. It's essentially the 1.1hp Evinrude Ranger or OMC Single built by Evinrude (different tank and cowls). I suspect the HP difference has something to do with exhaust as the displacement is the same and the carbs look identical.

I have a restored one sitting in my office @ work, and the OMC Single in the basement rafters.

Graham, your documentation appears to be incomplete. The GG designation was used by Wards models built by Gale. EA was used for Evinrude-built Wards.

Steve -- keep the motor away from any chicken sh*t in the barn -- it does a nasty job on aluminum!"

"Ken Denman, Thanks for the In

"Ken Denman, Thanks for the Info. I was pretty sure I had the # right. It looks like a neet little engine. I'm going to try to buy it from him. And the chickens are in their own coupe out back."

"Ken, do you have an online so

"Ken, do you have an online source for your records? Mine definately are incomplete to some extent. Most of mine are either typed or handwritten, collections from my Dad who started working on small engines in the late 40's.."

"I recently bought a 15 hp sea

"I recently bought a 15 hp sea king by gale m# gg8823a, that should be a 1960. The last owner said the mix was 50/1, seems low for that year but then it runs so I guess he did not ruin with that mix, what do you guys think. Also would like to know what plugs to use in this motor and where to find repair manuals. Thanks!!"

"Jack, most outboards built be

"Jack, most outboards built before about 1965 are best run at a mix of 24:1 (which is what I used on my 61 Gale until I layed it rest). The 50:1 will eventually cause enough additional wear that you may experience a failure.

As to plugs, I have listings for 2 different Champion plugs. The J11C or RJ12C can be used gapped at .030" (or their modern equavalent if those are discontinued numbers).

The "R" series plugs (RJ12C) are designed to prevent interference with electronic devices (fishfinders, gps etc).

A manual may be a little harder to find - you can try www.discount-marine-parts.com - drop them an email from their website and see if they have what you are after."

I have an old Water witch twin

I have an old Water witch twin 5 3/4 hp model 571.23
I believe it's a 1940 model. The spark plugs in it are AC 87 M....I can't seem to get anyone to cross reference these to a modern number. Does any one have a cross reference for discontinued AC plugs?

"David, you have the year righ

"David, you have the year right. It's a 1940 model built by Kissel for Sears and sold under their (then) brand name Waterwitch.

In 1944 Kissel was bought out by West Bend who continued to mfg outboards for a number of years afterwards.

Like others you have asked I am unable to find a cross reference to your plugs. I did find a reference for Autolite plugs for your motor, but it provided no part numbers. Likewise, the other big plug makers (NGK, Champion etc) do not even have a chart for your motor model.

Not sure what to suggest. You could send an email to the antique outboard club www.aomci.org and ask there..."

"Graham and Ken.
I brought t

"Graham and Ken.
I brought the Sea King home and the numbers
are correct. It has compression and a big blue
spark, I cant wait to get to work on it.
Am I safe to assume the fuel mix should be
24:1? My wife doesnt remember her grandpa using
this motor so it probabably hasnt been run in 40
some years. Where might I find a parts breakdown,
and possibly an impeller or water pump and info
on how to service it?
Thanks in advance for any help. Steve"

"might anyone know where i can

"might anyone know where i can buy a rebuilt carb for a 5hp sea king ktv60605A other number on motor is k5055106A? Also, I cleaned the one I have, but there are 2 spots on the carb for what looks like a fuel line hookup, and i dont know which one to hook it to or what the other nipple is for. Last, does anyone know the inital setting for the needle valve, i can get it to sputter when i spray gas into it. ANY info would be greatly appreciated, does anyone kjnow if this thing is water or air cooled? Thank you."

Back