Logo

Volvo Penta 225F Sterndrive Starter Motor Failure

loadit

I have just removed the third

I have just removed the third starter motor in 12 months from this boat. The last one has failed (siezed by the look of it) after only having the baot in the water 3 times. A mechanic has suggested water is being splashed up on the starter but there is no evidence of severe corrosion and I kept a close eye on collection of water in the bay (not much at all). It appears the starter is a delco aluminum automotive style for 305 Chev Inline and is not marinised in any way. Therefore am concerned that this problem may keep occuring. Can anyone advise on this before I go out and get another starter!!

"don't use an automotive s

"don't use an automotive starter! Asside from it not being protected for marine use, it can introduce sparks in the bilge environment that may have explosive vapors."

"Trevor, I have no problem ope

"Trevor, I have no problem opening the link, but let's try this:

Click the link:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/

If it opens (it should) then click at the top of the page on "engine parts", the on "Gas Engines thru 1989", then on "AQ311", then on "AQ311B", then on "Electrical equipment and instruments", then on "ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS: AQ311A" or "ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS: AQ311B". The look at part number 5."

I still can't open this li

I still can't open this link or go to the website. I've tried on serval computers. It may be possible that it is blocked to austrlalian servers due to local import rights?

"Most likely the server is blo

"Most likely the server is blocking IP adresses from Your area to reduce traffic, security reasons who knows. Same problem here."

"Thanks, Ive now managed to se

"Thanks, Ive now managed to see this part via a proxy. How does the bracket assist my problem?"

"Trevor, the bracket is intend

"Trevor, the bracket is intended to prevent lateral movement of the starter. All the Chevy starters for V-8 engines are secured with two bolts (parts 2 and 3 on the above link) to the engine block in way of the bellhousing, but the high torque at the time of starting makes the starter to have a tendency to rock sideways. The bracket is intended to stop that sideways motion and keep the starter aligned with the flywheel gear so that the starter can neither seize, nor break the bolts, the Bendix pinion, or the flywheel gear.

Not sure if this is your problem, but with 3 starters toasted with no conclusive reason you may want to take the above precaution.

Just a thought."

Back