Logo

Oil pump cooler

tedcurtis

"i had to have my oil pump rep

"i had to have my oil pump replaced on a 440...my mech put one on with out ports for cooler, saying they dont make anymore,, and 1/2 the chyrslers di not have anyhow,, any thoughts???"

"most boats ahve the oil cooli

"most boats ahve the oil cooling thru raw water / oil cooler/ heat exchanger,,, i was wondering how many 440 have no external oil coolers???"

"Ted,
I can't tell you p

"Ted,
I can't tell you particular reasons some have and others don't. Maybey Fastjeff or someone can shed some light. I'm just trying to convey there are options out there. Not that you would use an air cooled unit on the marine engine.
If you can find the adapter kit and you have the cooler already, why not use it? It is an extra measure of protection for your investment.
DS"

I have never seen a 440 withou

I have never seen a 440 without one and I think you must have it because I have read my oil pan temp with a infrared gun and seen temps above 200 degrees while cruising at 3000 rpm. Just get a cooler adapter for a car engine.

Dan

"With modern oils that have a

"With modern oils that have a far higher safe operating temperature range, I would not worry about omitting the oil cooler. There's a better chance of engine failure from an oil leak with it and, if you're still concerned, you can use a good synthetic oil (that has even higher temperature range).

Jeff"

Isn't the max temp you sho

Isn't the max temp you should ever run oil 260 degrees? I think I would be over that without a cooler. Why cook your oil when coolers are cheap?

Dan

""oxidation rate of conven

""oxidation rate of conventional motor oils doubles for every increase of 15º F to 18º F, therefore motor oil that is fine for thoushands of miles at "normal" operating temperature can fail in just few hours if it is overheated to over 300 F."

I got this from a synthetic oil site. Normal max oil temp was shown as 212 degrees.

Dan"

Back