Logo

1977318 distributor is too long for the 1984 rebuilt 318

akessner

"I'm sure someone has had

"I'm sure someone has had this problem. I am in process of rebuilt on 77 older engine to 84 newer engine and the older distributor is about 3/4 inch too long. Do I replace the dist. or is there a shim to raise it, or shaft changeout?
I would appreciate the help."

Check that the oil pump drives

Check that the oil pump driveshaft is engaged in the oil the pump and cam gear fully. I've had them hangup on the hex end.

"Did that, slides right into t

"Did that, slides right into the old engine without a bind. It is definitely different height."

"Andy,
Do you have 3.5"

"Andy,
Do you have 3.5" from the bottom of the distrbutor base to the tip of the distributor shaft?
http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1460.html

Or is it more like 3.875"? My old Mallory dual point 2557901 for small block automotive has this dimension.

Mopar sells a distributor adapter for the big block engines (440, 426 distributor to 400, 383, 361). I don't know if it can work with the small blocks."

"Never heard of diffrent distr

"Never heard of diffrent distributor hight for SB 318. The 273, 318, 340 and 360 all have the same hight, I went from a A model to a Magnum and still the Same. Is the bushing under the oil pump drive fully seated? Has the gear on the oil pump drive moved "if not pined? dose the distributor fit with oil pump drive out?"

"Thanks to all for the help.

"Thanks to all for the help. The guy who rebuilt the engine put the oil pump drive in upside down, which by the way makes a 3/4 inch difference. Turned it over and hey.... works great.
Thanks again
Andy"

Back