Logo

Can I use timing mark on dampner

stewsbs

Contributing Member
I do not see any timing marks

I do not see any timing marks on my gear on the crank and it will not come off can ise the mark that is on the pulley that goes in front of the crank gear and line it up with marks on the timing belt cover and which mark on cover do I use should it be aligned with the 0 to start?

ok I orderded new plates but I

ok I orderded new plates but I cannot get the gear off the crank is there a way to do it without damaging it?

"Can you try with a puller? I

"Can you try with a puller? I remember I damaged mine when I removed it, but that didn't matter: I had to replace all three gears anyway because they were pitted and they were eating the timing belt. You can use automotive gears, and they can be usually purchased cheap from autowreckers."

"Stewart!!!!!
You have a fou

"Stewart!!!!!
You have a four banger!!!!!
Very easy to time.
Look at the "v" mark on the valve cover......
Bring the mark up with the cam, then look at the crank.......It should be at "0"
TDC #1 is both marks lined up.
If you go around at least 4 times and they NEVER line up, then you are off on base time.
(which is cam and crank)
That is the starting point.
O............by the way,you can time the engine without taking the crank pulley off."

OK got the engine timed and ch

OK got the engine timed and checked compression had good comp on cyl 1 and 4 and nothing on 2 and 3 so I pulled the head and found that the intake valves were stuck open on those 2 cyl squirted in some lubrication and tap them with a block of wood and they are now both opening and closing fine.A little history and all I really know is that this boat sat for 2 years out of the water and not propely winterized.The pistons look good as well as the cylinder walls no rust no guages in fact they look like the motor has very few hours on it.My question is has anyone ever had this happen to them and what they did I am thinking replace head gasket and retest compression to see what I get before sending head out to be redone is this a smart move?Also are the bolts for the head reusable or are they the strech bolts which should not be reused?Any info would be appreciated THANKS!

"I would go ahead and take the

"I would go ahead and take the head to a machine shop so they can check it. Also have them do a valve job to be sure the valves seat.
I am kind of surprised that the valves that were hung open didn't bend during your compression test!
That's another reaon for the machine shop. I would have them check those valves to be sure they aren't "tweaked" a little. This will also save you the headache of having to tear it all back down again.
As far as the head bolts, they are ok to reuse.
Good luck."

"<font color=""ff0000"">"I

"<font color=""ff0000"">"I am kind of surprised that the valves that were hung open didn't bend during your compression test!" </font>

Eric, with your large number of posts offering "expert" advice to others, I'm surprised that you still don't know that all the OHC Volvo engines are non-interference engines; which means that even in case of rupture of the timing belt the top of the piston will never hit an intake or an exhaust valve."

"Sorry, El. I was pretty sure

"Sorry, El. I was pretty sure they were non interference, but I wasn't positive.
It would still benefit Stewart to take the head to a machine shop. At least to have it checked and for a valve job.
Don't you think?"

Back