Logo

89 23 ford omc cobra

R

rexo910

im not getting any spark out o

im not getting any spark out of the coil there is 12v to ground on the pos. nothing when you check from pos to neg. if i take the wire off the coil 12v across. no spark between point switched coil points and condensor can not figure out please help

go from ground to neg coil
go

go from ground to neg coil
got almost 12v
i use a test light
if not unhook the tach wire from tach
did that help?

most motors have a risistor bo

most motors have a risistor boock this ione dose notit is a wire like merccruser take a wire from hot side of battery to coil direckt jumper lots of sparck then change resister wire or jump around old resistre wire so as not to have to open up loom of wires worked on mine same problem on mine

"I just bought a 1987 Thunderc

"I just bought a 1987 Thundercraft Regency 16ft with a 2.3 liter Ford. The timing belt broke and the boat had been sitting, water got in and locked it up. I now have the motor free but it only turns so far befor it stops. I think it bent the valves. My question is if I go to the local auto junk yard will I be able to use a 2.3 out of a ford truck or car?"

"not sure if they will swap, b

"not sure if they will swap, but the 2.3 in a car doesn't bend valves when the belt brakes"

"HEADGASKET, I have a bayliner

"HEADGASKET, I have a bayliner with a 2.3 ford cobra engine 1989, I am having trouble finding a marine gasket for it, Does anyone out there know where i might find one ...Would be very much appreciated ...Kind Reguards Rod..}[email protected]}"

I need a new prop for a 1989 s

I need a new prop for a 1989 spectrum. Its 19' with a 2.3 liter cobra sterndrive. The old prop was a 3 blade aluminum and 13 3/4" diam 15 pitch. I'm trying to increase my "hole shot" without sacrificing too much top end speed. I'd like to be able to pull a skier out of the water. Any suggestions?

"a 19' with a 2.3 is never

"a 19' with a 2.3 is never going to be much of a ski boat. I would stick with the 15 and just practice the skiing - 2 skis and then drop one if you want to slalom. 1 driver, 1 spotter, 1 skier...leave everyone else on shore."

i have a 1990 bayliner capri 2

i have a 1990 bayliner capri 2.3 omc cobra . i have a chance to replace the motor and drive with a 4.3 v6 merk out drive or a new 3.0 4cyl volvo will these
drives fit in the hole the omc came out of in the rear of the boat with no fabercating

I have reason to suspect that

I have reason to suspect that the Holey carb. from a 5.8l V8 cobra is not allowing fuel in. It hasnt seen active service for a long time and the separator/filter had a fair bit of water in it. Should I be able to blow in through the fuel intake pipe coupling ? it appears to be blocked. Is it possible to dissmantle without interfering with adjustments/settings ?

we have a '87 bayliner cap

we have a '87 bayliner capri with ford 2.3 cobra engine. does anyone know the stats for timing this marine engine??

"sorry, I should have said OMC

"sorry, I should have said OMC 2.3 cobra marine engine"

NEED A CARBURATER FOR MY 2.3 O

NEED A CARBURATER FOR MY 2.3 OMC COBRA MOTOR IM NOT SURE WUT THE PROBLEM IS IT RUNS FINE AT IDLE AND PRETTY MUCH ANY OTHER TIME THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS WHEN I TRY TO GUN IT IT COMPLETLY DIES OUT BUT AS LONG AS I EASE INTO IT ITS FINE

"Dustin....and many others in

"Dustin....and many others in this thread. You should be starting your own NEW thread when asking a question, this is one of the worst ones I've seen in a while for new people just tacking their question into someone else's thread. It makes it very confusing to follow along.

Anyway for your carb problem it really just sounds like the accelerator pump isn't working. Take the flame arrestor off and look down in the throat, when you pump the throttle do you see any stream of gas shooting out? You can pickup a kit and rebuild it or take it into any carb shop and have it done."

"Just make sure the engine is

"Just make sure the engine is not running. If it is and it backfires through the carb well you can figer out what happens

smile.gif
"

I am looking for a wire set fo

I am looking for a wire set for a 2.3 litre ford engine used in a 1987 bayliner capri...any ideas as to where as the local dealer here doesn't sell those anymore.

"I have a 86 sylvan, 17' 2

"I have a 86 sylvan, 17' 2.3 It ran fine when I put it away last year but now I have no spark to the plugs. No spark to the points. The coil shows hot, in and out, and I have juice to the wire inside the cap that feeds the points. What is it? Condenser, coil, points, fuse? HELP!!! I just want to go fishin."

"Brian....I am 99% sure it&#39

"Brian....I am 99% sure it's probably your points. Take a piece of fine sandpaper or an emery board or ??? and give the points a quick cleaning to see if that helps. If it does then don't leave it like that but replace them, set them for the proper gap/dwell and check/adjust your timing."

HELP! I have a mid 80's OM

HELP! I have a mid 80's OMC 2.3 cobra in a 20 foot bluefin. I have power to the selinoid (new) I have power to the posts on the coil (new coil) and power at the wire from the distributer but NO power (or spark) coming out of the coil or at the plugs - Whats wrong?
Thanks!

"As above check your points fo

"As above check your points for correct operation, they must open and close as you crank the engine, make sure they are clean and gapped correctly. You can have all the power in the right places but if the points don't open/close with a good ground the coil will never charge and collapse creating the spark."

I just bought a 1989 Bayliner

I just bought a 1989 Bayliner 1952 with 2.3 ford omc cobra engine. The engine starts fine etc the problem is when I go to take of it hesitates/sputters and sometimes stalls.
Once it gets past this little hesitation point it seems to run well. The old owner told be that the boat was not used much and a mechanic told him that is was just from a lack of running. I have been told it could be the points? or the boat needs a good tune up.

Any thoughts

Thanks

"Probably needs a good tune up

"Probably needs a good tune up including fuel filters. Your problem could even be the accelerator pump in the carb. Start with the tune up and filters, pull off the anti-syphon valve at the gas tank (where the engine fuel line attaches) and clean it good with carb cleaner and see how it runs after those things are done."

"Bob I am planning on doing so

"Bob I am planning on doing some work on the boat this weekend.
Can you advise what exactly you mean by tune up?
Change of plugs, wires and filters?
Also where exactly is the accelerator pump

Thanks"

"The accelerator pump is insid

"The accelerator pump is inside the carburetor.

A tune means different things for different people.

Distributor Cap, Rotor, Spark Plugs, Spark plug wires, Distributor Points & Condensor, Changing Fuel Filter(s), Changing Engine Oil & Filter. Checking or changing accessorie belts. Checking and cleaning Fuses, Cleaning the carb with carb cleaner and Flame Arrestor with soap & water."

Gents I am trying to get the g

Gents I am trying to get the gear oil into the outdrive but don't know which 2 (I think)screws it undo to fill it. Can you help me out maybe even with a diagram of it.

Thanks
Rookie Boater.

"you fill outdrives from the b

"you fill outdrives from the bottom up, remove the upper most screw and fill with the drive as straight up and down as you can, till it just comes out the top, UNLESS you have a screw on the very very top ( not top side ) of the drive, then it's only to the Notch on the Long Screw.

Dont touch the screw on the PORT/Left Side in the middle.
Ok ?"

Thanks Brian perhaps you have

Thanks Brian perhaps you have a diagram that could help me out a little more?
I learned the hard way about the screw on the left side (what a stupid set up)
We had to take the outdrive apart to fix this.
The bottom most screw is on the bottom fin? Is this correct?
If so the only one I would need to locate is the top one. Again if you had a diagram for me and point these out that would be great I would like to get the boat in the water this weekend.
Again Brian thanks for your help.

Back