Logo

1983 johnson v4 problems

"What compression does that en

"What compression does that engine have? With the spark plugs removed, does it have spark on all four cylinders that will jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame?,... a real SNAP!

If you have compression and spark, the problem is usually fouled carburetors, BUT let us know about the compression and spark."

have compression and spark i c

have compression and spark i cleancarburetor last week i have dault on the floats what gap?

"What exactly is the compressi

"What exactly is the compression on all cylinders. Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, the cylinders are numbered as follows:

The spark on that model, with the spark plugs removed, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Does it?

NOTE that checking spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time, the 7/16" gap is necessary. You can make a tester as follows if you don'e have one.

Spark Tester - Home Made
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a couple nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs gapped at .040.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back