Logo

Help determining our engine model

rogerneesy

"Hello everyone! I'm sooo

"Hello everyone! I'm sooo glad I found this discussion board. My husband recently got a "steal of a deal" on a 1983 Bayliner Capri with a sterndrive Volvo Penta 270. We've begun to wonder just how much of a deal he got, and he's to the point of putting the boat at the road to get his money back. I've convinced him to give the wealth of information within these boards a try.

After some gymnastic feats, we located the serial and PN plate on the housing. Serial # reads 246736, PN reads 850676 in the first box, 8332 in the second box. I noticed in a post somewhere that there should be a # like "501" but didn't see that anywhere. In addition to figuring out which motor we have, we need to find shop manuals for it.

It's a 4-cyl engine, points setup. No matter what he's tried, he can't get the engine to crank. Just starting out on the problem so far he's replaced the battery, plugs and coil. We're afraid to try to get any more parts until we figure out exactly which engine we have. Hubby says the alternator looks like a Ford model.

Just a little history on the boat - Original boat owner gave it to his son after the engine ran hot. Son parked it in a shed for 2 years. The last year it was out in the weather (central South Carolina).

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!!!"

"One thing I forgot to mention

"One thing I forgot to mention in my first post. Hubby set point gap to 17 on a guess - found that it should be 16. He will be changing that, if absolutely necessary."

"The number you have supplied

"The number you have supplied belongs to the outdrive. Please ask your hubby to look for a brass plate above the engine starter. The plate will have engraved AQ---- which tells the type of engine. Once he knows the model, he can download the operator's manual selecting the drop down menu for "marine engines" on the following link:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marineengines/pub_search/

Also, he should consider buying the Seloc manual for the engine (1968-1991 sterndrives repair manual, book 3600)

80831.jpg
"

Hubby is not home yet and it&#

Hubby is not home yet and it's getting dark so I went out and tried to find the plate you described. I found a Volvo plate but it did not have AQ on it anywhere...at least where it would be readable. The numbers stamped into it are: 7679016014

Is this hopefully a serial number that can be used for identification???

"If the engine is original and

"If the engine is original and is 70s or 80s (and it probably is) it should have the AQ stamped in the plate, probably above the serial number. The serial does not tell me anything."

"OK, the search is over! Volv

"OK, the search is over! Volvo Penta AQ125A is the motor we have. I've downloaded the operator's manual. I'm trying to get the Seloc manual.

In the meantime, we have a few questions. If this motor turns out to not be worth repairing, what other engines would bolt up to the bellhousing in it's place.

The motor will fire but won't crank and run like it should. He has managed to get a feeble fire after spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb. The fuel pump does not seem to be pumping. In his experience working on all types of motors, he has never had such a problem getting a motor to run after using the carb cleaner. Everything in the engine is firing, but it is a very weak fire. What could be causing this??

Pulled old coil - could barely make out writing, but we did see "without resistor" and below that, it looked like "E40??" Any other markings were illegible. Parts guy looked at it too and gave us the coil specified "no external resistor required".

Replaced plugs. New battery. Fresh gas. He figured he would replace the fuel pump next if he could get the motor to fire off of carb cleaner.

Any advice?"

"Engines that will bolt to the

"Engines that will bolt to the current bellhousing are Volvo 4 and 6 cylinders in-line.

First thing would be running a compression check and checking the oil pressure. If OK, the engine is probably worth keeping.

To test the fuel pump, disconnect the discharge line and apply a pressure gauge. If the pressure is between 2 and 4 psi, the pump is good.

Check if there is an in-line fuel filter; if so, it is probably plugged and would need to be replaced. Consider starting the engine with gas from a jerrycan.

Replace ignition wires and (if in questionable condition) also the rotor and the cap.

Coil: get a 3-ohm coil with internal resistor.

Carb: take it apart and clean it internally. It is probably gummed-up. Clean also the spark arrestor."

Back