Logo

3 HP Johnson carb trouble

"I have gas coming out of the

"I have gas coming out of the throat on the carb. Just rebuilt the carb, I think I have the float set right but this little carb. really has me stumped. I am no mechanic but I am mechanically inclined and have done sevaral simple carbs like this before without trouble. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated ! Oh yea, It's a 1990 Johnson 3 hp. MN. J3BRESR. Thanks in advance."

"I'm not sure of the type

"I'm not sure of the type float on that model, but if it's like most.....

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks Joe, I will take it ap

"Thanks Joe, I will take it apart and make sure of the setting. Does that little motor have any kind of diaphram fuel pump that the gas could be getting by ?"

"If it has a seperate portable

"If it has a seperate portable fuel tank, it would have a fuel pump. If only a tank on the engine itself, no pump."

"I Took the carb apart and the

"I Took the carb apart and the float was slightly high, so I adjusted and it still leaked by. After playing with it a few times I connected the fuel line to the carb before I bolted it back up to the body, still leaked. With gas leaking out I rolled the carb over and heard a gurggling sound then when I flipped it over it quit leaking by the needle & seat. Strangest thing ever but now it runs like a top. Thanks for your help Joe! Greatly appreciated !"

Back