Logo

What engine can fit a volvo penta 100b sterdrive

hi i was wondering if i can fi

hi i was wondering if i can fit any other engine to this leg ie a ford 1600cc diesel marine converision or a volvo penta diesel or ford crossflow 1500cc engine marine one also does anyone know what sort of knotts i be doing with the volvo penta 80hp engine in a semidis hull

"Regarding your first question

"Regarding your first question, check this:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/79744.shtml

Regarding your second question, there is no simple answer as there are a few factors to consider: breadth, weight, shape and condition (roughness) of the hull, type of propeller, gear ratio, etc. The only thing we know is that your engine has a maximum output of 80 HP and that you have a 26' cruiser. My educated guess, though, is that you may get between 10 and 12 knots"

is twelve knots a nice speed t

is twelve knots a nice speed the hull is great condition she weights only around 2 tons you a man of so much know

"Michael, there are charts and

"Michael, there are charts and formulae to guesstimate the approximate speed of a semi-displacement hull based on its length, weight and power. In your case, if we consider the boat displacement being 2 tons (it will likely be more than that for a 26' fiberglass hull and equipment), the theoretical calculation would give 14.3 knots with 80 HP shaft power. However, you are not going to run the engine at 100% at all times (I would say that 80%-85% is more realistic); and your engine will not likely be brand new. Also, the hull shape and type of propeller have their influence in the final outcome. This is why I calculated between 10 and 12 knots, but only the final seatrials will tell you what is the real speed that your boat will achieve."

Back