"Shane,

Do you have a part number for the tool?

Is it:

FTA2937-1 TIMING TOOL SET

If so, it is showing as NLA from Mercury."

"Shane,

I am not showing it

"Shane,

I am not showing it superseded to any new number.

Maybe someone here will know of a source or know of an equivalent tool."

emails being forwarded to you

emails being forwarded to you regarding timming without the tool.
or see past post this year just after xmas
this site it was covered here just cant remember the date

Thanks for the reply rainer RI

Thanks for the reply rainer RIECK but I didnt get your email. (not even in the spam folder)
I'll search again and see if I can find the past post.

Thanks again
Shane

"Have a look here:
[url=""]ht

"Have a look here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/Side2a.jpg"
The lower red mark I have put in is the center seam where the crankcase joins together. This is the stationary mark. The other upper mark is on the stator plate. Look for a nice square cut groove in the side when the throttle is at wide open position, it should line up with the crankcase seam. To check if the timing is correct, obtain a degree wheel, or print out a large protractor that you can place on the flywheel with some tape. Adjust the top cylinder to TDC by using a dial indicator in the top spark plug hole and rotating the flywheel, and then adjust your protractor to read "0" degrees according to some sort of stationary pointer attached to the top of the cylinder head, that wont move. Connect a digital ohmeter lead to the #1 cylinder points wire that goes to the kill switch, and the other to ground. While slowly rotating the flywheel, you will notice the resistance will be very low approx 0.3 ohms, and then at around 30 to 35 degrees BTDC the resistance will go up to perhaps 1.0 ohms. The position of the flywheel where the resistance goes up is where the points open and the magneto fires. If all is well, your timing marks on the side should line up at Wide open throttle, and the points should open when your degree wheel indicates 32 degrees BTDC. Point gap can change the timing, so be sure to gap them carefully at .020 ". I hope this brief description makes sense."

You can't buy that anymore

You can't buy that anymore. And it is 28 degrees BTDC. Use a dial indicator. Do not run them at 32 with today's gas. It is panther piss.

Back