Logo

454 loss of power

spencer

"I just ran my Boat today and

"I just ran my Boat today and I could only get 3000 RPM and top speed 10 knts. The bottom is clean, I have new Carbs, New Distrib,New Plugs, New wires. Timing was set TDC. advance working.Any Ideas? I'm tired!!!"

What boat? Single or twins?

What boat? Single or twins? Points or solid state? How's the fuel? How about the filters? Is the tank venting properly? What is the compression? Is the linkage working properly? Are the new wires on correctly? Why is the timing set at TDC?

"Thanks Rick: The boat is a 35

"Thanks Rick: The boat is a 35' Mainship Conv. Twin 454s 1250 hours. solid state( new) Distributor, New Wires installed and checked correctly, New Cap, Fuel has been checked( Clean) all Filters have been changed,The tank is vented proper, Conpression at all points 163-165 Correction on the timing. I started at TDC then set the advance as per the spec.Then I tweeked the Carbs to run in sink with the RPM of 650 at idol.I ran the boat and at full 3000 RPM was all i could get and only got to 10.2 MPH. If it where a trawler that would be fine but this Boat should do 20+
Bob"

"Bob, What parcipitated all o

"Bob, What parcipitated all of the new parts? Did the problem exist prior to the upgrades or are the new parts the problem? I am assuming both motors are acting the same which indicates a common problem. I would like to know what kind of fuel pressure you have at the carbs. I would also like to know what your timing is at full advance.

I don't want to sound like I don't think you know what you are doing but I also don't want to make any assumptions and overlook something elementary. I am trusting that the boat ran properly at one time and that you haven't changed props or transmissions.

Based on what I know now, short of your camshafts beign worn out (unlikely), you are not getting enough fuel/air or the timing is not advancing enough. Have you read the plugs? If so, what do they look like."

"Rick: I Just Bought the Boat

"Rick: I Just Bought the Boat a couple of Months ago. It ran fin at survey except for the port Carb was flooding. I discovered the Fuel pump was bad, so i replaced it. I get 7 Lbs at the Carb. Then I decided to replace the carbs on both Port and Starbord. The Starbord engine Runs great no Problems at all. The port Engine statred to backfire at 3ooo Rpm at the dock. The advance on the distributor was not working at all,So I replaced the Whole thing,Plus the Cap,rotor and wires,plugs.I cant tell you for sure as to the setting My marine Machanic helped me with the timing I think it was 17*-18* The Plugs are black on the outside of the core but the inside does not seem to be to fouled so I just changed them again. Now..... When I changed the fuel pump,filters,gas and Oil. The Old Oil had GAS in the oil pan. Alot of Gas say 4 gals. the Boat was delivered to me from the other side of florida by the previous owner. I do not know if he ran the boat for any length of time that way or not. I suspect that the Cam lobe may be shot. I took off the valve cover and found that the # 2 Cylinder@the Valve rocker was not moving as much as the others where so I backed off the lug until it tapped then I cranked it down a little at this point the backfire in the carb Stopped.From that I determained that I must have a bad Cam. I assume That now that I have no Power. I can only get 3000RPM and 10MPH."

"Uuugh! Pull the cam and chan

"Uuugh! Pull the cam and change all the lifters. I suspect that all that gas washing of the cylinders may have wasted the rings as well.

Didn't your surveyor even mention the possibility that you might have serious $$$$ trouble with that engine!

Jeff

PS: If your surveyor blessed that motor, you have grounds to sue!"

"Jeff: Thanks for the reply: W

"Jeff: Thanks for the reply: Well Im thinking that since I have to pull the motor to get to the cam,I might as well pull them both and get a couple of long blocks($$$$$ouch$$$).On top of that the engines are in the salon of the living room; that should make my wife real chipper!!!

At the time of the survey both engines ran great,however I think this may have happened when the boat was deliverd to me from the other coast! This lets the surveyor off the hook!However I did have a clause in my contract that did specifically deals with the engines not being up to snuff when I got the boat from the seller!!! Either way I have to fix this puppy out of pocket,then sort out the villains
Bob"

"Bob,I don't see anywhere

"Bob,I don't see anywhere injectors being discussed. If the boat sat for a long time or the new E10 fuel was being used, you probably have clogged injectors. This information is offered because I have exactly the same engines that had the same problem. And don't let anyone tell you to pour something in with the fuel to clean an injector. They have to be removed to be cleaned. Just for the record, the new E10 fuel has a shelf life of just a few weeks before it breaks down & starts clogging things up. Also, you can probaly forget suing the surveyer. Most have a disclaimer in their contract that protects them from liability."

"Meinekebob, he stated he had

"Meinekebob, he stated he had a carbed engine. If the fuel pump diaphragm goes it can fill the engine with fuel. Stu"

Back