Logo

1983 Volvo Penta 270 outdrive starter question

randyj

Regular Contributor
"I just got a 19' bayliner

"I just got a 19' bayliner ciera, 1983, volvo penta, 270 outdrive. It came with no starter... I've had plenty of mercruisers but never one of these. Woule appreciated help identifying engine... only number on it is the serial number 7679011771.....if anyone could give me the part number for the starter that would be greatly appreciated...an Arco number would really be sweet!"

"Thanks... I finally found it.

"Thanks... I finally found it... had to scrape off more paint to read it. AQ 125 A...ok... the serial number apparently is supposed to have a slash in it... so maybe it is supposed to be 7670/011771.... if so then the starter (ARCO) should be 10110 and the OEM would be 834976-3 or 834339-4.... does this agree with what you can come up with?
El Pescador, did you get yours going? How do you feel about this set up? Is the motor & outdrive as good as they are supposed to be? I wanted this old boat because it has an enclosed cooling system and I can keep it in the water all winter. So... what's your take on the volvo penta & 270 outdrive?"

Ok...now the really weird ques

Ok...now the really weird question... is the older style starter (without threaded mounting holes) interchangeable with the new ones (with the threaded mounting holes)

"I got the new starter.. it fi

"I got the new starter.. it fit, bolted right on, appears to be fine and only difference seems to be that I don't have to use the nuts that held the old starter on... will try to wire it up and crank tomorrow...will let you know how it goes."

"Randyj, my take on the AQ125

"Randyj, my take on the AQ125 and the 270 outdrive is that you have a nice package for your 19' boat. Sure the engine power is not really high, but those engines are very economical to run if you have the right prop and run them at the appropriate RPM. And reagrding the 270 outdrive, it is virtually indestructible, unless you hit a rock or a deadhead at 30 knots!!!

The only thing that confuses me is that the AQ125 is a 4 cylinder OHC engine, but in your profile you describe your type of engine as a Chevy 350???"

"Glad to hear that... if it ca

"Glad to hear that... if it can be "destructed" I'll find a way to do it.

Don't worry about the confusion... I'm always confused. Got a back yard full of old boats and probably 20-25 old outboards. Need to unload the whole bunch. The Bayliner in my profile is a 24' monterey with 350 Chevy (260). I've also got a 20' Hammond with the same engine & outdrive...both need new homes. I've got lots of upholstery to do on the Hammond and the "new" bayliner...if I can afford it. When I moved here I bought a 40' semi-trailer just to store tools, equipment & old motors in...like a makeshift shop while I'm trying to build a house...now living in an old dilapidated mobile home on Smith Lake in Alabama... luv it here...should've moved 30 years ago. Property values have quadrupled in the past 3 years. All the beach combers ran from the hurricanes to the reservoir lakes and developers bought up the property...now we're full of yankees, foreners, and commie spies.
proud.gif
"

How do I get the bolts off the

How do I get the bolts off the clamp ring on the upper gear unit of my outdrive (270) the bolts are corroded and the hex on the bolts are rounded and just disentegrating. I heated the hell out of it for 8 hrs to no avail. Where can I get a new clamp ring for people who just work for a living? any ideas?? thanx

CIPPY... this is my first Volv

CIPPY... this is my first Volvo...had plenty of mercruisers before. I don't have a clue. You might get better answers if you go back to the forum (VOLVO PENTA GAS) and click on "start new discussion" button at the top of the page then re-post the question.

Back