Logo

78 OMC 800 Stern Drive Question

fixerupper

"Hi, I'm a newbie to this

"Hi, I'm a newbie to this site, looks like a good place to fish for some answers. I'm not real savvy on some of the boat terminoligy but I'll try to explain best I can. I figured out how to drop the drive off to check the knuckles out, they are shot. I just picked this boat up for cheap, knew it had some sort of problem but finally got it running and heard this horrible noise that sounded like all 8 rods knocking all at once. Anyway, I just need to know how to get the cable that is going through the housing and down into the drive removed so I can move the outdrive out fo the way to work on the knuckles. Thanks, hope this makes some sort of sense."

"To get this right, particular

"To get this right, particularly when reinnstalling the cable, get a manual.
In the meantime while waiting for it, her is how to get it out.
It has to be disconnected inside the boat; Take off the arm with the shift cable from the remote and the cover. Then push INN the cable from the drive and install a small pin/cotter pin in the hole to keep the internal spring etc from comming out. Haveing taken the tension off the cables, take them off the wheels they are attaced to and pull it all out through the transom. Be careful not to dammage, cut or similar or You will have to replace the complete cable!"

"Thanks for the information, i

"Thanks for the information, it's very helpful, I'll buy a book in the mean time. Anything I need to be aware of when replacing the ball gears that the books don't tell you and is there a particular book that is best?
Thanks again.
Glen"

"Hopefully the center seal/ ca

"Hopefully the center seal/ cap is still there on both sides. I think it's a 1 1/16" socket required to remove them. I used an electric impact to remove the nuts. Now, the fun part. On mine whomever replaced them last got locktite on the ball gear splines as well as the threads at the end of the shaft. It took almost three thousand pounds of pressure to press the ball gear off of the shaft. No fun! I've heard in the past that they should go on and off easily. Not the case with mine. Also do some looking around before buying the set. I found them for half of what I would have paid the first place I looked. Take your time and good luck!"

"Thanks again for the informat

"Thanks again for the information, all very helpful, haven't had a chance to dive into it any further since posting last. Thanks for the link, I will get the manual right away. Badly needed.
happy.gif
"

Back