Logo

Steering bracket on Johnson 110

T

tommy malphrus

"I need to replace the Steerin

"I need to replace the Steering bracket on a johnson 110. I think it is a 1989 model. If the two bolts ring off, strip or what ever,what would I need to replace? Is this the middle portion of the engine?

Thanks
tommy
[email protected]"

"Tommy..... If you're spea

"Tommy..... If you're speaking of the steering arm that the steering cable attaches to, that's quite a job.

You must remove the lower unit to get the shift rod out of the way, disconnect the oil and fuel line at the engine, and disconnect the wiring harness at the engine. Have the engine supported via a hoist attached to a flywheel lifting ring, then remove the two top motor mount bolts, and the four bottom motor mount bolts.

Now remove the engine away from the steering and swivel bracket assy. Tilt the steering bracket up to its extreme. You will see a large nut at the bottom portion of the steering arm assy (near where the bottom m/mts were). Remove that nut and you will now be able to lift the steering arm up and out.

Now, before you go to all that work.... why do you feel that you must replace that item?

Joe
"

This message caught my intere

This message caught my interest Joe as I have been a little worried about the steering arm on my 84 evinrude 150. The arms are severly corroded and I was wondering if you've ever seen one of these crack or break.
George

"George..... The steering tube

"George..... The steering tube would break before that steel arm would. I've never seen one break. Clean it up, chip that loose rust off with a fingered type carbon scraper, prime it with green zink chromate primer, paint it, then forget about it for another ten or so years.

Joe
"

Thanks Joe - Your comments ar

Thanks Joe - Your comments are reassuring. I'll clean it up and forget about it as you suggested.
George

Hey Joe:

The bracket is re

Hey Joe:

The bracket is really rusty. I am scared it will break and for safety not to mention messing up a day fishing on the chesapeake bay for rockfish I wanted to replace it. I guess it could be said I am biting off more than I can chew. Will not be the first time.

Thanks
Tommy

Back