Logo

Mercruiser Engine 74 Bravo 1 and Gimmel removal instructions

shorething

"Ok, so I ran aground the end

"Ok, so I ran aground the end of last season in my 1989 268 Sea Ray Sundancer. Noticed one of the bottom gimmel housing bolts was jarred loose, it was corroded through in the middle. I caulked around the gimmel housing and the bolts to get one last weekend out of it. Noticed I was still taking on water.. So I have to pull the engine to replace the bolts and will most likely need to re-set the gimmel housing. I would elect to have this work done, but I'm not interested in putting another $2k + into the boat. I’m fairly handy and was hoping someone may have instructions that may guide me through the process. I think the hardest part is figuring out how to hoist the engine out of the boat while its sitting on the trailer.

Anyone have instructions and or advise?"

"Download the manual(s&#41

"Download the manual(s) if you don't have them and have at it.

if you search the mmercrusier board, you can find a link or two to some sites were some manuals were. haven't checked them lately so can't tell you if the links are still active. Worst case, buy them."

"I had a 1988 Sea Ray 268DA th

"I had a 1988 Sea Ray 268DA that was a 1989 production year made after July 1988. I had teh 7.4L carb engine with a Bravo II drive.

I agree with makomark. There are websites that have the 7.4L manuals and install specs to change out teh engine and gimble and how to align the outdrive shaft.

I re-powerd mine in 1997 and installed a new 7.4L Marine Eng. It is no simple task and several special tools are required. Can't just go out and borrow the alignment tool.

Alignment is important. if not properly done it can lead to improper wear of the gimble as well as "spinning" the hub by initiating too much torque out of line.

you can try a website
http://www.marine-engines.wikia.com

you may find a free copy PDF file of the manual you are looking for.

Good Luck."

"Thanks for the insight, you h

"Thanks for the insight, you have all given me plenty to think about. I’m not planning to jump into this project unless I do proper research and get a good feel for what I’m getting myself into.

The boat was repowered with a new 7.4 when I bought it in 2005. Probably the only reason I bought such an old boat. I have a manual but will look at the suggested website to see if it provides more clarity on the project. I’m also considering hiring a local unemployed technician to work with me..Still waiting for a call back.."

Back