Logo

Honda 2000 15hp bf15a want to build remote controls for it

catowner

"Hi everyone,

The boat I bought last year has a 2000 Honda BF15A outboard engine. It has a remote forward/neutral/reverse throttle lever, that's third-party but works well. It doesn't have a remote engine start on it though, or a remote clutch.

I was thinking of buying a Cole Hersee switch and wiring it up, as it's only $20, as compared to the $200+ for a Honda remote control kit.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=10171&family Name=Cole+Hersee+Off-Run-Start+Marine+Ignition+Switch

But, the shop manuals I have for the BF15A don't have schematics for the electrical. Does anybody have any information on how to wire this up?

Also, I was thinking that a remote clutch would also be wonderful. The Honda remotes for the BF15A don't include that, but I was trying to think of ways to get it hooked up regardless. Anybody have any great ideas on how to do that? Maybe with some sort of tensioned wire to push/pull the choke? Or is there maybe a way to do it electrically?

The Cole Hersee M-924 has a "push-to-choke" feature... http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/C-Ignition.pdf but presumably that would require an electrical interface to the BF15A's choke

Thanks in advance!"

"I am assuming that your engin

"I am assuming that your engine is already electric start and it is a BF15A and not a BF15D.

The switch will operate your starter but you will still have to manually choke the engine and stop the engine with the stop switch. The switch you have picked is something that is used on an inboard outboard engine. Turning the switch off does nothing. The Honda switch, like most outboards, puts a short across the stop leads when the key switch is turned to the off position.

A simple push button switch is all you need to operate the start solinoid to start the engine. You could use another simple push button switch wired accross the stop switch leads to stop the engine.

Honda makes a complete conversion kit with shifter and all the appropriate wiring connections. I think it also has the additional hardware you need for the shift and throttle connections. There is probably in the list of parts on boats.net.

Now that I am thinking about it, the carburator kit that you referred to in your other post may be the carburator you need to replace the carburator with manual choke for electric choke operation. Many years ago, if we ordered the electric choke carburator, it was less cost than usual because we had to send in the old one (if it were new) as a trade. I do not think that is done any more.

You still have to purchase an electric choke solinoid to make it work electrically.

As for a wiring diagram...if you are looking to modify it yourself...there is a wiring diagram in the rear of the owner's manual. You can download one for free by serial number from Honda http://marine.honda.com/owners/manuals

I am not sure what you mean by a clutch....

In order to activate the choke electrically, there used to be a carburator that was modified for electric choke that you have to buy. I have not seen any documentation on this for some time.
The total modification was not real clear even with the documentation.

I do not have access to my old papers now...I am recovering from some surgery. It may be a while before I can give you any specifics...if I can still find them.

At least the wiring diagram should give you some ideas if you are electrically inclined.

Many of my customers have looked into doing this themselves and have decided to extend the throttle and shift cables (using the appropriate adapters and shifter) but then just starting the engine at the engine with manual choke to save money.

Some have extended the stop switch leads to a push button on the dash to stop the engine from the dash."

"Sorry I meant choke, not clut

"Sorry I meant choke, not clutch - I constantly say clutch instead of choke, confuses the heck out of everyone I talk to.

Gotcha on the separate stop switch.

boats.net lists a choke solenoid at $320 ( http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2001/BF15A1%20LA%20OUT BOARD%20ENGINE%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20BAAS-1600001%20TO%20BAAS-1699999/CHOKE%20S OLENOID%20BRACKET%20KIT/parts.html ), which is pretty grim. Maybe I can find a dead engine somewhere to scavenge parts from... do you know if the same solenoid used across multiple Honda outboard models ?

Thanks for all your advice!"

"The choke solinoid appears no

"The choke solinoid appears not to be available anyway.

It was only used on the BF9.9A and BF15A series. It may be hard to find, since this was an add on assembly.

You might try ebay or Craigs list etc on the net.

You may be able to rig up a solinoid off a larger junked remote control Honda or even an Evinrude or Johnson. If the price is right, a little experimentation might be fruitful."

Back