Logo

2 HP Johnson Sea Horse No Spark 2R79A

brian_from_boston

Contributing Member
"I recenlty acquired a 2 HP Jo

"I recenlty acquired a 2 HP Johnson Sea Horse outboard for my inflatable. I am new to outboard motors and have a few standard questions. The previous owner told me that is what not getting spark. I understand that the spark is generated by some sort of stator beneath the flywheel. Do you need a puller to pull the flywheel? Is there a good way to test the stator or device which generates spark? Is this motor water cooled and if so is the impeller in the lower leg above the prop?

Once again any help is greatly appreciated, Thank You."

"Its a 1979 model. it will hav

"Its a 1979 model. it will have points ignition Therefore wise to inspect, clean reset or replace the points also inspect the coil. You'll need a "harmonic balancer" puller to remove the flywheel.

may be some helpful advice HERE
But check the plug and ht lead first.

It is water cooled and the pump is located on top of the gear case.

when you get it running and want to check the carb settings see
HERE

Useful diagrams in the parts catalog HERE"

"Just to keep you updated, I p

"Just to keep you updated, I pulled the flywheel and disassembled the magneto system. I cleaned up all parts (especially the points) and reassembled. I placed the spark tester (recommended from VicS advice) and a nice strong spark. Vic you saved me on the link to that post, it was extremely helpful with pictures included. My next step would have been to install the spark plug and give it a rip.... unfortunately it came with no plug and the plug I tried to install was too small for the threads. The local parts store swears the Champion J8C is the correct plug. So looks like I am going to pull the head, drill, and helicoil it. Any other advice on what the spark plug problem could be would be extremely appreciated. Thanks all."

Back