Logo

1974 evinrude 6hp leaking gear oil question

"Thanks in advance, I have a 1974 6 HP Evinrude that I am getting drips of gear oil out of the prop hub. Just a little bit every few days. My question is, when I replace the seals, I have been told that there is a very expensive "seal retainer" somewhere that needs to be removed prior to replacing one of the seals. I understand that this "retainer" is over 100 bucks to replace if it gets screwed up. Anyone out there pulled one apart before? Any advice on how to remove the retainer?

Thanks,
John"

I am doing a seal change right

I am doing a seal change right now on a '72 6hp and the service manual/parts manual show nothing like what you have been told. The 6hp is a pretty laid back motor and all seal replacement costs are reasonalble.

It has a replaceable seal and

It has a replaceable seal and o'ring. No need to change that bearing head unless it is ruined.
Seal - 0313282 $13.11
O'ring - 030360 $1.22

"I am kinda getting a few diff

"I am kinda getting a few different stories on this. If I dont need to replace the bearing head, is there any need to remove it to replace any of the seals? How would I know if it was bad?
John"

"Yes, it has to be removed to

"Yes, it has to be removed to change the seal and o'ring. The bearing head just comes out with the gearshaft assy. To me - it's simple - but it may not be to someone that's not familiar with taking the motor apart.
The bearing heads are usually good unless corrosion has eaten them away or someone broke it during a prior assy. Usually a visual inspection to look for visual damage is about all thats needed. They are built to last a long time with proper lubrication."

Thanks for all the info. I don

Thanks for all the info. I dont understand what this other mechanic was talkin about. He said that he uses a "special" tool to remove the "seal retainer" I am assuming he is refering to the bearing head. He made it sound like a real pain in the ass. I know this guy pretty well and he has always been straight up with me.

"He could be talking about the

"He could be talking about the shift rod bushing. It needs to be removed in order to replace the shift rod o'ring.. That one is a real PITA unless you have the proper removal tool. I always change that o'ring because it would bug me not to. The o'ring seal is P/N 0301877, and the brass bushing is P/N 0303332. If it gets ruined in removal - it's not a big deal as the cost for a new bushing is less than $6.00 and the time to renew the o'ring and reinstall the bushing should be less than 15 minutes. Not much to it."

Thanks but I am pretty sure he

Thanks but I am pretty sure he was refering to the bearing head cause he quoted me around 110.00 to replace it if i ruined it. So you are saying that it simply just slips off the gear shaft to replace the o ring?
Thanks.

yep! it just slides off (a

yep! it just slides off (aft towards prop threads). Sometimes it's necessary to deburr the prop shaft at the shear pin hole if you feel a resistance when pulling the head off the shaft - it is probably burred and forcing it can cause a scar to the head bushing. Just easier to remove any burrs.
Notice or mark how the front and rear bushings come out of the housing.. they are indexed with a pin and lug..and needs to be reinstalled the same way.

Back