Logo

1989 OMC shift problem

roger

" I have had three different m

" I have had three different marine mechanics tell me three different things wrong with my shift problem and before I let them rebuild my engine with all new parts I'd like another opinion please. I have to fight with the controls to shift from forward to reverse and vice versa. I have a 1989 OMC Sunbird with a Ford 5.7 Litre engine. One mechanic said it was the shift module but $120 later, the problem still exists. Another mechanic said that OMC has many problems with the two switches which connect to this module and the module rarely malfunctions. The third mechanic said it may be a tune-up problem which a new condenser might fix but the motor runs like a top. What are your thoughts? Thanks very much for any assistance.
Roger "

" your shift cable needs to be

" your shift cable needs to be adjusted. a common problem on omc's. there is a web site devoted to this issue, but i don't have the link. maybe someone can post it. "

" I had the same problem with

" I had the same problem with my omc king cobra. We found that corrosion at the shift lever shaft in the stern drive created the problem. I followed the cable down into the stern drive and took off covers as I went, the cable ended at a lever (L shaped)attached to the case of the stern. The shaft was fine but the lever had corroded creating resistence against the shaft. We cleaned and sanded the lever. It shifts very smoothly from forward to reverse now. "

Back