Logo

Alpha 1 seeping gear lube

mnydvr

Regular Contributor
"my alpha is seeping gear oil

"my alpha is seeping gear oil out of the water intake,is this a bad seal ?if so where do I start?"

"Problem is ,on the bench she

"Problem is ,on the bench she holds pressure all night,but it'll seep oil (not alot)over time,I'm figuring carrier seals,alittle advise from experince would be great,I dont want to rebuild the whole thing as I plan on selling the boat and the drive works fine otherwise."

More likely the water pump bas

More likely the water pump base seals or the driveshaft seals in the bottom of the upper unit. A bad shift shaft seal might do the same thing.

"Question 1, what is your &#34

"Question 1, what is your "bench test"? Try and be specific.

Question 2, do you "bench test" it full of oil or empty? SHould be empty.

If GEAR oil is leaking out the intake then the boat doc is probably correct. Are you sure its gear oil?

THink about what is above the intake passage, the water pump assembly and water pump base.

can you pull a vaccum on the unit? that may show a bit more than a pressure check."

The alpha one is in my opinion

The alpha one is in my opinion better then the 2.

Must be neglected.

I also lean towards the shift shaft seal.

When was the impeller changed last? The seal comes with the kit.

Also if BT says he thinks it's the seal you can take it to the bank.

the mercstuff website and my m

the mercstuff website and my manual have been priceless to me. It sounds like you're going to be seperating the sdrive. Not a big deal and relatively simple but read up before hand. There are hidden bolts and certain ways of putting things back together. But while you're in there you can change out your water pump which I believe is the culprit (bad seal or gasket on the base). If it were anything in the upper unit leaking you would have oil dripping out of your exhaust and not the water intake.

Back