Logo

Msd ignition

mikey43

Regular Contributor
what will a person have to do

what will a person have to do to change a thound erbolt ignition and get rid of that costly icm and put a msd dist. a 95 350v8 alpha? any ideas?

yes will be. how costly and is

yes will be. how costly and is it better? is there a bunch of rewireing? has to be marine if not nobody will work on it and also safer you guys teach me alot thanks. all of yall are helpful. hope everybody had a good thanksgiving.ps have learned a alot on this site!!!!

"[b]"and is it better?&#34

""and is it better?"

Nope,... You've already Got the Best marine igntion system money can buy..."

805185-4 is the mostly costly

805185-4 is the mostly costly icm 494.35 thats why i thought i would change it. what is the difference some are 1 number off? thanks bondo.

"[url=""]http://cgi.ebay.com/e

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-BBC-CHEVY-SUPER-65K-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6500-R_W0 QQitemZ330362222615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=it em4ceb1f7817

Not that i would ever tell anyone to install one of these non-marine units in there boat.

However we installed one in my friends boat. One wire in, one wire out. One wire to the tach.

Takes the computer out of the equation gives super performance and costs with delivery under a 100 bucks will last forever.

Remember i posted i would not recommend YOU to do it, however it's your boat.

Oh yea yea, yea, not marked marine rated however i want anyone post the difference between this unit and a marine rated one except the 400 dollar price tag on the marine one."

"[b]"Oh yea yea, yea, not

""Oh yea yea, yea, not marked marine rated however i want anyone post the difference between this unit and a marine rated one except the 400 dollar price tag on the marine one."

Ayuh,... Do you mean, Other than the Fact that marine motors will Not run with a Vacuum Advance,+ that distributer Doesn't have safety screens over the Vents,..??

Mike;..."what is the difference some are 1 number off?"
You'll have to do your Own research,...
Usually there's a difference in the spark advancment map...
I'd suggest pawing through the Service Manuals, or Dennis Moore's books..."

"i installed it. can be instal

"i installed it. can be installed with or without vacuum advance.

Did you ever have one in your hands?

If your going to keep it stock that one number means all the difference in the world.

The motor i installed it in was a rebuilt block from Michigan motors, the boat was submerged in saltwater.Motor was toast. The elctronics were not able to be saved.

So in went in the hei, 3 years latter it runs like a scalded cat. Nice Marathon."

"[i]805185-4 is the mostly cos

"805185-4 is the mostly costly icm 494.35

can buy a complete delco voyager marine HEI system for less - comes with new wires, dist, all marine approved and safe."

"Hy and Bond-o are of course c

"Hy and Bond-o are of course correct, i thought about my post for a while. Not that i was wrong about the hei unit, but that a marine unit should be used."

"ok lets go marine. thats ok i

"ok lets go marine. thats ok i need to do something need to fix it give me some part#,just want it to run right,hy stat good idea! gotta get going on before spring."

i just cant see spendn 494.34

i just cant see spendn 494.34 for 1 icm when i can do the whole thing for less.maybe thats why i ask all of yall. you guys know! what to do!!! and how to do it thanks good info!

ok hystat and chiefalen delco

ok hystat and chiefalen delco it is. i like it yall have been a lot of help! thanks a million! that michiganmotorz is a good site thanks again!

ok chiefalen you dont have to

ok chiefalen you dont have to bypass the module? just put in the new dist and go? what about the knock senser? thanks

"The directions mention what s

"The directions mention what screw it goes to on the dist?

The one piece i did was a couple of screws for the tach, and sensors.

Now understand, this is coming from a guy who can't remember who or what i ate last night."

I would drive over to my frien

I would drive over to my friends boat but i am currently under a foot of snow and it's going to snow till this evening.

But on the base should be different color screws i'm not playing with you i have dist problems on my truck i'm working thru.

The computer plug we left hanging.

i know what your talkn about t

i know what your talkn about the snow we had 15" during xmas and i work for the dept of trans in texas lot of overtime for us!! ok that was what i was wonder about that is good about the plug i was worried about that for a while i am no boat mechanic i am learning with all the help from you guys! yall a lot of help thanks! enjoy the snow in front of the fireplace

well ordered the delco voyager

well ordered the delco voyager dist today! from michigan motorz good idea! i hope! i think it will i talked to them and the man in tech said people do this all the time for the same reason 494.00! for the icm.

Back