Logo

Alpha 1 water pump kit which one

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
"Frustration. I bought the Sie

"Frustration. I bought the Sierra 18-3320 off this site and the base doesn't fit my Alpha 1 Gen 1. How many different bases do they make? Makes me leary about buying parts off the internet when they aren't the right ones. The base where it fits into the lower over the bearing isn't right. it's flared. And doesn't look the same as my original. In fact it doesn't look the same of any base I've seen off a Gen 1. According to the site, it should fit. Anybody know which kit fits? The Sierra 18-3319 maybe?"

"What is the serial number of

"What is the serial number of the drive ? It's on the port side, near the Oil Vent. (should be) Could you have a lower from a different drive."

"mis-marked package maybe. I g

"mis-marked package maybe. I get that alot nowadays.

Almost happened when i went to go pickup a caliper.I brought the old one with me, and they gave me back a whole 15 dollars for it or charge me a core charge.

If your in jersy lockwood marina has probably the best prices, and he will alow you to match it up and get the numbers off it.

I'm thinking could you have a pre-alpha cobbled with a alpha 1."

"For $10 more it's worth i

"For $10 more it's worth it to buy local. I'll take my original down to Seaway and match it up.

Pre-alpha and Alpha 1 Gen 1 and MRs are supposed to have the same pump base according to several parts websites I've checked, aren't they? Anyway I have a really good parts place in my neighborhood, they are just a little on the expensive side that's all. I guess some parts are worth buying local when there is any confusion involved."

"The perils of dealing with th

"The perils of dealing with the aftermarket supplier system....sad but very common.

Went thru same issue with a truck part recently. Turns out the "manufacturer" (in reality, the importer) had bad application info and swears to this day they have no issue. I noticed the vendor doesn't sell that product line anymore.

Not likely to happen at the authorized dealer. These are the extremes of today's business model...You just have to figure what your time is worth if you have to make that second trip and then see if you get a "deal" going one way or the other."

"The flared sides would indica

"The flared sides would indicate a early Series 1 lower,if yours is flat then the base is 18-3417.The kit number 18-3317.
Only 3 bases that I know, early Series 1 with flush plug, early Series1 without flush plug, And the standard Alpha 1"

"Had me thinking there a minut

"Had me thinking there a minute, but i knew that HAH.

Thought i lost it, there are 3 different ones.

I meant to get the point across rather badly is to do what you decided to do , take the part with you and match it up, and then in 2-3 years you will know for sure what part number to get."

Thanks Bt doctor! Is there a w

Thanks Bt doctor! Is there a website that I can match my numbers to see which one I have? Also I've heard of the flush plug but what exactly is that? Also heard of a pre-load pin to tell them apart as well but not sure what to look for. I have my drive apart now so finding out which one I have should be fairly easy.

"this is a merc part number...

"this is a merc part number......Item 24

334579.gif
"

"The differesnce between the t

"The differesnce between the two most common style bases for R, (MR/Alpha 1 gen I) is the R drive does NOT have a nut holding the bearing under the base. The MR and ALPHA does.

Therefore the base for the R sits on the bearing so to speak and the base for the MR and ALPHA sits on the bearing retaining nut.

334583.gif
"

BT

The issue here is the si

BT

The issue here is the sierra part number vs merc and Sierra shows three different water pump assemblies and I am not sure what the difference is between two of them. The third in my list I am almost 100% sure is for alpha 1

"Here is sierra's list and

"Here is sierra's list and what they are for......

I am not sure if it is accurate.....maybe someone else can confirm. I am going to sleep....

334587.gif
"

"Water Pump Styles

The Al

"Water Pump Styles

The Alpha One Water Pump Kit is Mercury Number 46-96148A8
The Alpha Pump Base, Part 46-44292A3

If you have an older R-Style pre-alpha then you will still use the Alpha One Water Pump Kit
BUT you need a pre-alpha water pump base #46-57234A1

I looked at sierra's web page and it looks as if they have it wrong on the base part number. At least from the picture they show..

If you have a issue call them and ask them specifically and ask for a refund due to miss labeling/identification of there product."

"WOW! Thanks for all that info

"WOW! Thanks for all that info. Good to know and very confusing without it. From the drawings and the fact that my local parts guy had to match up to my OEM base with the Sierra #3317, it looks like both of my drives are Pre-Alpha R drives. The bearing retainer nut is the big clue since I didn't have one on either drive. It seems real easy to get dirt and grit in that bearing since nothing is covering it except the pump base.

I always thought the Pre-Alphas had the support ring on top of the upper housing. But both mine look just like any Alpha on the outside. One of my upper castings doesn't have the splash guard and other does.

Is there any pros or cons from ther Pre-Alpha to the Alpha? Is one stronger than the other or is it just changes over time for the sake of change. Is it possible the uppers and lowers were swapped?"

My opinion is the alpha is a s

My opinion is the alpha is a stronger drive but that only means if you are running some horsepower to test it.

What the difference between R and MR/ALPHA with regards to the nut for Alpha and no nut for the R is the R drive pulls the pinion gear attached to the vertical drive shaft down into the lower unit gears. Hence the preload pin.........................

The MR/Alpha gen I and newer all push the gear away from the lower unit gears. towards the water pump assembly. Hence the Nut..........

That is the mechanical difference.

Back