Logo

Carver 350 Mariner with Crusader 350 XLi270

jamesobregon

"I'm looking at buying a 1

"I'm looking at buying a 1997 Carver 350 Mariner with twin Crusader 350XLi/270HP engines.

Is the boat underpowered with 270 HP engines, or is it just right?"

"Jim, It may be considered a

"Jim, It may be considered a little light on power by some, but if it does what you want, who else matters. It would be nice to have big blocks but it doesn't. Carvers have less deadrise than most boats which means it will plane easier than most, and maintain plane with less power. That would make the small blocks more accepable. Take it for a good testdrive and make sure you're happy. If you're not, don't rush, it's a buyers market right now and there are some really good deals out here it you're willing to be patient.

Good luck
Rick"

"Sorry to disagree with my goo

"Sorry to disagree with my good buddy Rick, but those boats are gas hogs; slow, underpowered with anything less than a 502 cube big block, and slow as melting snow. But they have great interior layouts!

Jeff"

"It's only a 35' boat!

"It's only a 35' boat! The new 36 Mariner is a bigger boat than the '96 350 Mariner, but the '06 35' Super Sport (Same hull as 350 Mariner) runs 33.9 mph with 6.0 small blocks http://www.boattest.com/boats/999/test_results.aspx. I've never seen snow melt that fast. The 5.7 will give up a little performance but is still very respectable. It planes nicely at 3200 and isn't bad on gas.

Like I said, it may be considered light by some but for most people, that's just fine."

"Rick, thanks for your thought

"Rick, thanks for your thoughts. I called Carver today to confirm the HP on the 350 XL engines. It's an EFI model. Carver told me that the engines are 310 HP, not 270 HP. I guess the 270 HP would be the carb model.

As far as buyer's market comment, that's what I hear. I've seen a few boats now at the historic low range of the selling price for the model."

"A survey is a must. A good s

"A survey is a must. A good surveyer will want a seatrial, go with him. He works for you so make sure you hire someone experienced who you can trust. Don't necessarily use the guy the seller recommends, there may be a reason they like him. If he has the capacity, have him check the ECU. This "black box" will tell you much about the motor and it's use. Make sure the hours on the hourmeter match those logged by the ECU. Check for stored DTC codes and check the run log. This will break down how much time the engine has been run at any given RPM. It most of the hours are above 4000 RPMs, it tells you a lot about the previous owner and how he cared for the boat. If possible, obtain his service records. None of this data replaces the compression or leakdown test and none replaces the seatrial.

Also, if you are purchasing this from a dealer, what kind of warranty are you getting and what are the options for an extended warranty? It may be well worth considering.

Good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

Rick"

Back