Logo

How to polish and shine

ycart0

"Hey guys, How's it going

"Hey guys, How's it going been a while since I've posted this year. Not really a mechanical question this time although I'll have many in the future. Actually after this post I will do one on hesitation< Been having that all summer long and can't get to the bottom of that one> But for right now I need a quick lesson on how to polish and protect my boat

My boat is blue but it has a faded whiteish dull blue color. I tried to used the cleaner wax by seasense? Followed the instructions on the back (since I don't know how to polish anything) Still looked dull and faded after I did a spot. So I stopped. Also blue paint was comming off on my cleaning towel didn't know if that was suppose to happen or not.
So can some please tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to do this correctly within completely messing up the boat? Also I was thinking about tring the meguiars fiberglass oxidation removal kit (M4965)

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+M4965

Also what type of buffing or polishing set up do I need, or can everthing be done by hand?

Thanks guys for the input I know this isn't an engine quesiton but I'm sure you guys are expert at this also.
Thanks Be blessed Tracy"

brian could you give me a sugg

brian could you give me a suggeston of a good buffing machine to buy? I tryed the ryobi orbital buffer from home depot and the beginning of the season didn't like it so I took it back.

My last boat was blue with a b

My last boat was blue with a bit of fade. I tried the maguier's polish and cleaner/wax with mixed success. It worked good enough to sell the boat.

"Tracy,

Gel Coat can be a r

"Tracy,

Gel Coat can be a real big pain..My 25 year old boat looks better than most 5 year old boats that I see. I keep mine VERY clean with the right products. If your boat is dull to the point of no return you will have to start wet-sanding with about 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. After wet-sanding I use my Snap On high speed buffer. I start with 3M extra heavy duty rubbing compound and use the buffer at about 2500 RPM and let the buffer work into the gel-coat.Gel-Coat is almost UN-burnable so don't be afraid of putting some force into it. After using compound I wipe the whole boat down with a terry cloth and cotton towel. I then use a non-filler cream wax with a foam buffing pad and buff it again at about 2000 RPM. Wipe the boat down again and apply a hand wax. Voila!!!! looks like a million dollars!!! I buff it every spring to avoid having to wet-sand. I apply hand wax 2-3 times a year to keep the "mirror like finish"."

Back