Logo

Replace stufing box hose

luhrs_40

Contributing Member
I have to replace ome side stu

I have to replace ome side stufing box hose on my inboards.What is involved? The boat is out of the water. I understand i have to take the box apart and the coupler out to slide the new hose in Any thing to be aware of? Will be difficult to move shaft a few inches back?

"Peter,

Did this last sprin

"Peter,

Did this last spring with new shaft logs also. Be sure you can slide the shaft far enough back to clear the hose after the coupler is removed and watch for the rudders. Removing the coupler may be a chore depending on how tight it is to the shaft. Once the shaft is free it will slide backwards with a little water tossed onto the cutlass bearing while being rotated and pulled. My brother and I did it in about 90 minutes as a team 1 in the boat and the other outside screaming...MORE ? MORE? WHAT...I cant hear you!"

Thanx Al do i loossen the coup

Thanx Al do i loossen the coupler shaft 2 bolts first or the coupler tansm bolts? Also do i have to hammer coupler to separated from shaft?

"If it is a solid coupler, sug

"If it is a solid coupler, suggest you order a split coupler to replace it.

If you are changed the hose because it has degraded, beter plan on doing the other side, too. In that case, get two split couplers, not one.

Best to remove the props before starting.

Warn the family, your vocabulary will suddenly expand with a plethora of new four letter words and their cousins.....

If someone had the foresight to install split couplers, it should be straight forward and you could get both sides done in an afternoon. Send them a thank you note.

I use the T-bolt clamps on those hoses, two on each end. Due to finding the 'regular hose clamps' separated one day, way offshore. They parted on the 'bottom' where most of us can't see without an inspection mirror. Bought one of those, too, and it lives on the boat."

"yes the split coupller is nea

"yes the split coupller is neat,but i dont have that , no dont have vdrives mine are straight inboard system"

"Split Couplers...wow...bookma

"Split Couplers...wow...bookmarked that page, thanks Mark..... I'm sure it is just not me that has spent too much time trying to get the prop shaft out of a coupler...after it has been removed from a V-drive...arrrggghhh
sad.gif
"

"My last removal took an angle

"My last removal took an angle grinder with a narrow metal cutting blade, two full cuts on the length of the coupler, and then an air hammer to knock off the coupler pieces. It was 10 years old, and lots of salt rusting. I did coal tar epoxy it a few years before. The setscrews were not to be found...
On new ones, I was successful in pressing off the coupler by using two studs and 4 nuts, using the tranny coupler as the fixed press. And, you need some sockets as the drifts in the center."

"I had to do the die grinder w

"I had to do the die grinder with a cutoff wheel, too, at about 12 years. And the split couplers went on afterwards. Got away with one cut and Al's BFH with a chisel to pry it open just enough for it to slide off."

"Back off the coupler from the

"Back off the coupler from the gear, insert a shallow socket in alignment with the shaft then bolt the coupler back up, rotating and tightening one bolt at a time and repeating until it spits the shaft right out. You might want to get some longer bolts for this process but it never fails, even with tapered shafts."

Thanx Rick that sounds like a

Thanx Rick that sounds like a good plan I will give it a try the way you said and see what happens

"Peter, this is a good time t

"Peter, this is a good time to think about dripless packing if you have some extra $$$ and want a nice upgrade."

"Well rick this is the 4rth ye

"Well rick this is the 4rth year with the boat and i think before i got it the previous owners must had those GFO packing installed Almost dripples I believe its called GFO or something like it , it has a greenish bluie colour to it Are you talking about the PSS dripless with the water hose running to it fron the outside?"

"Rick one more question, once

"Rick one more question, once the coupler is out and the new parts are in whats the best way to insert the old coupler back in place? Thanx again"

"Note that, even with a split

"Note that, even with a split coupler, you still have to muscle it on and off the shaft. Mine needed a bit of sanding to go on since they deliberately make them a few thousandths too small, so they can be fitted.

Jeff"

I just saw I have solid (f

I just saw I have solid (first picture) and I am a 1991. How. Long can I go before all hell breaks lose?

"How are your cutlass bearings

"How are your cutlass bearings, stuffing box, shaft logs and other replacable parts? That area of concern is your primary need if you had to pull the shaft out for any reason"

I shouldn't be reading abo

I shouldn't be reading about stuffing boxes now. This is the first year I'm leaving the boat in the water. I'll winterize end of december and run adjitaters and a heater in engine room. I just did the packing this spring. Everthing looks fine... Though I'm bring my inspection mirror wednesday when I fish...

"Well, Scott, you asked... I a

"Well, Scott, you asked... I am just thinking about what I would need to remove in order to pull the shaft and make sure was good before I replaced it again.

BTW: I saw a guy in a boat next to me pull up a big striper...maybe 30-32"...look at it, and toss it back into the water"

Back