Logo

Mercruiser 454 mpi

bert4332

"[b]I'm a newbie when it c

"I'm a newbie when it comes to this board and engines in general. I had a real quick learning curve when the wrong plugs went into my Mercruiser 454mpi and shrank my number 8 piston. I pulled the motor from my boat and video taped every inch of the motor and then taped every aspect of breaking it down.

I really enjoyed breaking it down and putting it back together. I just used the video tapes and the Mercruiser repair manual. I want to build a motor from scratch but slow. This is for a learning experience just to mess around, I have a few friends who can come over and help on the aspects I can't figure out. Eventually I would like to have a running replacement motor if my current motor goes down.

I know I can go to an auto salvage yard and buy bb motor any time. I know that there is a big difference between auto and marine. So where do I find a salvaged marine bb motor? I'm looking for perhaps something that is locked up and is no longer running and break it down and build it back up. Every where I look I see engines that are already rebuilt.

This site is awesome for me and appreciate in advance any advice.

thanx
"

"blocks and heads are all the

"blocks and heads are all the same, pistons, cam and gaskets are different. find a mark IV at a wrecking yard"

Back