Logo

Honda 225 corrosion need newused lower unit

fiveforksas

"I just purchased a 2003 robal

"I just purchased a 2003 robalo with a 225 honda, boat showes some wear but the lower unit has chunks corroded out and will need to be replace. The mid section will just have to be repaired. Anyone know of a used lower unit, I would just as well purchase one complete used? help and any suggestions as towhy the corrosion was so bad.
Hunter"

"As to why - used in Saltwater

"As to why - used in Saltwater or fresh? I suspect the previous owner never changed the sacrificial anodes, or failed to make sure they mated well with the housing.

A good habit is to change the anodes annually, and lightly sand or buff the mating surfaces, regardless of saltwater or fresh water, and regardless of how good they may look. In fact, if they look nearly new, that likely means they are not doing their job and are not mating well to the aluminum casing. There are three anodes - two on the lower unit, held together by a single 10 mm through bolt and one large one under the the transom mount, held in place by two 10 mm bolts. That large one has a connecting wire off one end running to the mount. This wire is important for making sure the anode is doing it's job. Clean and sand the connector wire on both ends.

Also, when I pull my boat for 100 hour maintenance, I wash down the lower housing and interior surfaces with Salt Away, and then apply a good heavy coating of 3M marine paste wax to the entire engine cowling."

"Yes, it looks as if this engi

"Yes, it looks as if this engine never had a good wash down nor did the previous owner check his anodes. I now have the job of trying to find a new lower unit. I thought it would try and find a used lower unit complete because i need the direction fin also along with what ever else is there. Any suggestions on a used lower unit? thanks for any help."

Coosbay marine in oregon has t

Coosbay marine in oregon has three of them in stock. I believe they are all long shaft models and his price was not too bad.

Back