Logo

275 steering fork

moriv

"Recently replaced my outdrive

"Recently replaced my outdrive on an AQ130-270 system on an old Missouri River houseboat. The splined shaft on the steering fork, however, was a smaller diameter than the original. I was able to fit my old fork to the helmet, and make it work.

My concern, though..... In the last eight years I have replaced every piece of my steering system. New helm, new cable, and now a new helmet. The old fork and arm are worn, which still leaves me a little piece of 40 year old stuff.

Now my question. I notice that the new (to me) smaller diameter spline shaft, which I didn't use, has four bolts where the shaft can be removed from the fork. Can I buy the larger diameter spline shaft and put on there? If not, to make it right, I would have to replace the entire transom shield, as the carriers in the shield also match these diameters.

And, thanks to all for this marvelous forum, and thanks to all who respond to help us out."

"Steve, You've lost me!

"Steve, You've lost me!
The 250/270 Collar Steering Forks use a small diameter shaft.
The 280/275 Collar Steering Fork shafts are larger (these two will interchange with one another).

In fact, these groups of helmets will interchange, but may not be correct for the type of helmet pin.... but they will interchange.

The Galvanized steel steering arm on the inside of the transom shield is the "spindle" arm.
The early 280 will be a long arm.... the 275 may use the short arm w/ the bell crank linkage.

I believe what you are calling "carriers" are the cast aluminum ears that the black plastic fork shaft bushings are housed in.... correct?

Which parts are you trying to interchange and/or replace?

."

"Ricardo, thanks for your repl

"Ricardo, thanks for your reply. Maybe I did not know what my "old" outdrive was. Sounds like I have replaced a 275 with a 270. Anyway, the only difference I have found is the diameter of this splined shaft.

The transom shield has a pair of what I am calling "carriers", between which the "spindle arm" (the female splined steering arm" carries.

These pieces, hard mounted and seemingly part of the transom shield, inside the boat,have the larger diameter holes. If the 270 helmet, fork, and arm are used, the "carriers" (sorry, I am from Missouri)will not tightly hold the vertical shaft and its receiving arm in place properly.

The 270 fork seems to have a removable shaft(4 little bolts). The fork from my old fork (275, I presume) does not appear to be able to separate from the fork. If I can find a 275 shaft to fit in my 270 fork, then the only old piece I have left in my entire steering system is the arm.

Otherwise, unless I am not seeing something, the entire transom shield would need to be replaced.
As I said, I have switched forks, and everything appears to function. Having this old fork and arm in my system has me concerned, because losing steering on the Big Muddy can be freaking terrifying (as I can attest).

Is there some other difference between these two units I should be aware of. It seems to function just fine. By the way, if I do not change the transom shield (just re-welded and re-did the whole transom two years ago), then I do possess an extra 270 transom shield."

"Steve, if your shield has bos

"Steve, if your shield has bosses for the large collar steering fork bushings and fork shaft, then it is either a 280 or 285 or 275 transom shield. In which case, you must stay with a collar steering fork of the same style (spelled shaft diameter)

All helmets in this vintage will interchange within the fork...... but the receptical for the helmet pin (fastener) will vary.
Use the helmet that works with the front collar of your transmission and you should be OK.
Don't forget the two SS thrust washers between the helmet and the fork.

Be sure to replace not only the two bushings, but also the "V" ring seal on this shaft!

Do this, and you will be just fine.
."

"Ricardo, thanks. Please tell

"Ricardo, thanks. Please tell me what the "V" ring seal is. I assume by the helmet pin, you mean the 3/8" allen head in the rear middle. While the pin itself looked slightly different, hand setting them seemed to result in identical seating. The two side bushings on the helmet looked good, so I used them. Do you have a part reference on these bushings and washers?

Again, thanks all for this marvelous forum."

"Ricardo, thanks. Please tell

"Ricardo, thanks. Please tell me what the "V" ring seal is. I assume by the helmet pin, you mean the 3/8" allen head in the rear middle. While the pin itself looked slightly different, hand setting them seemed to result in identical seating. The two side bushings on the helmet looked good, so I used them. Do you have a part reference on these bushings and washers?

Again, thanks all for this marvelous forum."

Back