Logo

Temp amp Electrical Issues 88 Bayliner 23 l Ford OMC

morgie

"Hi all,

I had some problem

"Hi all,

I had some problems with the temperature and electrical with the boat this year. The thermostat was reading 250 so I took it in to the marina to have it checked out. They reported back that the temperature at the housing was 170 and they check some were else and it was good as well. Any other reason why the gauge is reading 250. It’s a brand new gauge.

Also, to go along with this, once I had been running the boat for a while, and the temp got up as it was showing on the gauge, if I slowed down or turned the boat off, I would completely loose all power. Nothing would work (radio, lights, blower, bilge and ignition.) I would have to let the boat cool down for 10 minutes or so before power would come back to everything. Any ideas what would cause that?

Thanks,
Toronto, ON. Canada."

"Has the gauge done this since

"Has the gauge done this since it was installed? If so I would suspect it might be the wrong one. The gauge must match the resistance of the sending unit or you will get incorrect readings. If it's the right gauge then the sending unit could be defective.

For the electrical problem, first thing I would do is remove, clean and tighten the battery connections at the battery and at the engine (pos cable at the starter or start solenoid and the engine ground), also next time try the tilt/trim to see if it works."

"Gauge, yes, but even the old

"Gauge, yes, but even the old gauge was showing that it was running hot, so that is why I replaced it and as far as I know that gauge is correct, but if it is the sending unit, what would I need to do with that? How would i tell if it is/isn't the correct gauge?

As for the electrical, the tilt and trim did not work, but that would usually be the first to come back, then everything else would kick in."

"Thanks Bob. I clicked on the

"Thanks Bob. I clicked on the link, price is showing $14. I asked at a local marina just know about the same part, and their asking $199. Am I missing something somewhere at all?"

"$199 for a temp sender???? W

"$199 for a temp sender???? WOW, are you sure you gave them the right PN or was that price including installation (even that would still be very high)

See item 38 in the pic below, even if you order from BRP their price is only $17.99

38 0980613 SENDING UNIT, Water 1 $17.99

290635.jpg
"

I gave them the part number di

I gave them the part number directly from your post and even asked how difficult install would be. The mentioned I would have to move the drive to access and feed it through the boat (2 hrs) so it's not that they are charging installation. Guess they are not understanding what I need maybe?

"They have totally screwed up

"They have totally screwed up somehow, this is just a sending unit that screws into the block (inside the boat), it has nothing to do with the drive. By your description The mentioned I would have to move the drive to access and feed it through the boat (2 hrs) it almost sounds like they are trying to sell you a trim sender, go back and tell them temp sender, there is no way they could have looked up the PN posted above."

"They went back and yes, the n

"They went back and yes, the number for the sending unit was different for some reason. They want $26 and change. Either way, that's better then $199. Thanks for your help with this Bob."

"Like Bob said - the gauge and

"Like Bob said - the gauge and the sender must be matched.

Does the gauge show a 'fixed' reading or does it 'rise' as the engine warms up? If it is fixed or stays over 240, remove the wire from the sender. if the gauge stays the same, the interconnecting wire is shorted to ground.

If it starts out around mid-scale and then rises as the engine warms up, you have the wrong sender unit installed. Get the correct one as bob suggested and you should be back to normal.

Also, they may IR temp guns (thermometers) that are pretty accurate and easy to use. They are handy, even around the house and garage."

"It rises as the engine warms

"It rises as the engine warms up. It doesn't start off in the middle.

What it was doing was when I was going fast, the gauge went past 175 all the way to 250. Once I slowed down and travelled at a much slower speed, the gauge would eventually go back down to 175. Then, if I shut it off right after going fast and the guage was at 250, that is when I would loose all the power.

I'll get a new sender unit and see if that works and clean off all the connections to see if that eliminates the power issue."

Then its most likely the sende

Then its most likely the sender at fault.

What does the gauge indicate when the engine is cold and the key is turned on? And how much of the gauge's total sweep is it ?

"I've attached the exact g

"I've attached the exact gauge I have. It will sit on the 40 similar to what it shows in the picture when I turn the key on.

290656.jpg
Temp Gauge

"Greetings

After reading al

"Greetings

After reading all of the very well written tips and help about the Spectrum Boat, 2.3 TKO I joined. I have a 89 Spectrum with the TKO and I am about knocked out because of the problems that have beached this thing. After looking and finding the tune up kit for the 2.3, I replaced all and the boat will not start. I wasn't able to find my dwell meter so I started with .017 and worked up to the .025 that my manual said to set the points. With the information I read about the coil voltage and other tips from Bob, I tested everything, and everything matched what I had read. I followed the tip about the gear shift "switch" and the only thing I was able to think of was a continuity test and all was fine. Still nothing. The strange thing, and I have had years of strange things with this thing, the engine was running before I changed everything. Not running good, but running.
I used my pyrometer to check the heat on each part of the heads and found that I am running around 225 degrees, and that's when we used the trolling motor to get it back to the dock. Now that I think about this, I have used the trolling motor more time for getting this thing back to the landing than I have for fishing!!!
Another thing that I noticed the last time out was that all of my gages have stopped working. Needless to say I checked all of the fuses, and they are all okay. And, yes the ignition switch works correctly. Maybe I will be able to find the Gremlin and be able to help others, or I am going to scuttle the damn thing!
} I bought all of the parts at Merc's And More in Denver. I have used these people for over twenty years, and I trust them emphatically. The told me some really interesting things about the Cobra. One, that the distributor (OMC# 984632)and cap (OMC# 985218) , have been discontinued, but that there are places online that say they have the cap. The fuel pump also is gone, but there is a expensive electric one that can be adapted. The engine was allegedly built by Ernie Elliot, Bill Elliot's brother and his NASCAR engine builder. They said that was something that they had heard, but had not substantiated the information yet.
I also own a race car and I use Mallory, and I can't help but wonder if Mallory would still have the distributor, I will check into this with my engine builder."

Hi Steve

I think you should

Hi Steve

I think you should start your own post. Then things not get mixed up. I would check and see if you have a balest resistor in the boat if so change it. or to test it just run a wire from pos to the coil the try to start it. If it starts then change it if not check your coil.

"Hi Bob,
I went to the BRP si

"Hi Bob,
I went to the BRP site to look up the part. It doesn't show that I can order from there, but there is a button to hit (that doesn't work) to find a dealer. Would you know of a dealer in the Toronto area that would have this part (other than the marina I have mentioned)

Thanks,"

"One of the best places I'

"One of the best places I've dealt with in the Toronto area is Klaus Marine, give these guys a call, I've always found their parts guy to be extremely knowledgeable. Not sure where you are but they are in the Etobicoke area.

http://www.klausmarine.com/"

"Its funny that you say that,

"Its funny that you say that, because they are the marina I have been talking about this whole time."

"ooops <[img]"http://www.marin

"ooops
blush.gif

I haven't been there for a couple of years now, maybe they've gone through some changes?

The BRP site for ordering parts from is actually Shop.Evinrude.Com but they are in the US so by the time you get it up here it will probably cost as much as Klaus

http://shop.evinrude.com/"

"Kevin:

I think your sensor

"Kevin:

I think your sensor is ok - its just the wrong one. I believe you have what is termed a 'dual station' sender and what you need is a single station sender.

If you have access to some common resistors, you can check the gauge pretty easily. Faria says a 100 ohm resistor - between S and G - with the key on, should but the pointer in the middle @ 80C."

Back