Logo

Oil leak

"Hello all,
Toward

"Hello all,
Toward the end of last season I noticed oil in my bilge, never took a huge amount of notice of it as (1) The weather was crap and I was hardly using it and (2) I kept checking the oil level and all seemed fine.
Used the boat a lot already this year and obviously have the same problem and so far, according my dipstick have not used a drop of oil! I've checked the hydraulic resevoir for the tilt/trim and the level seems fine. It would seem that the bulk of the oil is toward the back (transom end) but access is very tight. Is there any way this oil could be getting in the bilge from the outdrive? 91 350 mag/Alpha 1 Rinker 236 Captiva cuddy."

"Thanks Guy
I've not chec

"Thanks Guy
I've not checked, boat has been in the water since April but the o/d was overhauled before going in and I know it was OK then. The reason I asked the question is because I dont want to pull it out if there's no way the oil can get in!

Cheers

Mark"

"Thanks Guy,
How t

"Thanks Guy,
How the hell I'll get to it to check will take some imagination but I'll give it a go tonight, I've felt around around as much of the oil pan as I can reach and it feels dry but I'll have a closer look at the same time. Can I assume that the rear main seal is an 'engine out' job?"

"Can I assume that the rea

"Can I assume that the rear main seal is an 'engine out' job?" yes

I use a telescoping mirror and bright light. I've also used a digital camera and viewed the pics. on a 57" TV.

I'll send my 3 year old un

I'll send my 3 year old under there with the camera!!!!! If he's lucky I'll hold his ankles so I can pull him back out!!

Thanks for your advice as always Guy

Cheers

Mark

I have a digital 12 megapixal

I have a digital 12 megapixal camera the size of a pack of cigarettes. It will also take 20 min. videos.

"Hi Guy,
Had a wild st

"Hi Guy,
Had a wild storm on Thursday night and ended up with about 4 inches of water in my bilge, gave me the excuse I needed to strip out everything in the engine bay and have a big clean up, managed to get under the back as best I could......from what I could see, it's coming from the bottom of the flywheel housing, rear main oil seal?!. I'm going to run it on to the end of season and keep an eye on the oil level and then lift the motor in October. I'll be calling on some advice then.....very new territory for me.

Thanks for your help

Mark"

Back