Logo

Doesnt get any water to my 454 mag

rj12c

I started my 454 with the wate

I started my 454 with the water muffs on and it just wasnt circulating any water through the motor. I took the outdrive back off put the hose to the intake it flowed through perfectly. Put the hose to the intake through the transom and it flowed fine through there. I filled up a bucket and ran a hose from the sea water pump and it sucked through the engine as fast as I could fill the bucket. I put it all abck together and still it wont suck any water through. Does anyone have any Ideas on what it could be?

As we seem to always have to s

As we seem to always have to say to newbies

MORE INFO !!!!

BOAT
LENGTH
MOTOR
OUTDRIVE
YEAR
RAW WATER COOLED IF SO THRU OUTDRIVE OR THRU BOTTOM OF BOAT
CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM HEAT EXCHANGER IN SYSTEM

WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT BOAT YOU HAVE!!

sounds like you need to be che

sounds like you need to be checking out the water pump / impeller in the outdrive

Sorry Guys I am a newbie. Ok I

Sorry Guys I am a newbie. Ok I have a 1989 Formula 242LS with a rebuilt 454 mag 375HP. I had to replace the outdrive so I went from a Bravo 1 and purchased a used low hour bravo 3. Is raw water cooled through the outdrive. No Heat exchanger. Thanks again anyone who helps out.

"Bravo three's do not have

"Bravo three's do not have a impeller in the outdrive if I am correct. Most bravo's run a water impeller housing (pump) on the engine kinda like a small altenator.

Assuming this is correct,

If you ran a hose from the pump/impeller straight to a bucket and it sucked all the water then you answered your own question.
Something from the outdrive to the water inlet at the gimbal housing is wrong.
Pull the outdrive off AGAIN and force water thru it from the water hole back down to the pick up slots in the lower unit and let us know what you find?????"

My bet is the outdrive was sep

My bet is the outdrive was seperated at some point and someone forgot to put something back in and the water is not gitten there..........

Back