Logo

1980 99 hp Chryslerno spark need help

I've got a 1980 model 92H0

I've got a 1980 model 92H0G chrysler 9.9 with no spark. I finally got the flywheel off after a lot of tapping with a brass hammer and prying with a pry bar. The coils and condensers all check out within the required tolerences. Everything looks clean except for some rust on the flywheel magnets. I cleaned that off and would like to put it back together and check the spark. I also disconnected the stop switch before and tested the wires with no shorts found. Is there anything else I should be looking for before I put the flywheel back on?? It's pretty tough to get the flywheel off so I thought I would check to see if anyone had some ideas on other potential problems before I put it back together. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Getting ready to put flywheel

"Getting ready to put flywheel back on. All the wires, coils, and condensers look and test good. Cleaned the points with a points file. Would the rust on the flywheel magnets cause a no spark condition?? I would think you would at least get a weak one. Any comments in the next few hours would be appreciated."

I was on vacation for a while

I was on vacation for a while and forgot to update my status on the motor. Put everything back together and took it out on the lake and she fired right up. it is a really nice running motor. I have a little bit too much line on the recoil. I rewound it 8 times after I felt tension with a home made tool. Is there a secret to getting the recoil to go all the way back?? Any comments would be appreciated.

"That starter was their main f

"That starter was their main falling down Treat that starter gear like gold- it is hard to get the right one for replacement. Went thru many different design changes -Engage the gear before you pull it thru and it works better,- reduce your rope load as it will drag on the mounts of it goes past the spool. Make sure the spring clutch clipped to the under side of the gear has a little grease and slides smoothly.

Your special tool is worth it's weight in gold- put in the tool kit. You can wind more recoil into it after it is all back together. Just a note- have met no one who could repair that inner recoil spring once it got bent and the little bras crimp fell off.

Sooner or later most of these get a rope with a knot in it for starter. Also good for starting a weak motor when cold."

Back