Logo

50 omcvolvo lowbuck performance gains

B

Boatkrazi Bob

I'm looking to increase t

I'm looking to increase the power of my 5.0 Litre 220 h.p. omc/chevy engine w/ a volvo sx drive. I'm running an aluminum prop & a standard flame arrestor on a 2 barrel Holley carb. The boat's a 20' cuddy that runs in the high 50's right now. does anyone have horror stories/recommendations short of opening the engine up?

" Not opening the engine up sh

" Not opening the engine up shortens the list to exhaust, intake and ignition mods. Exhaust manifold choices may be limited due to compatibility with the drive system. If you have electronic ignition, that's an upgrade already. That leaves intake, but be careful to not just throw a big carb (and intake manifold) on your engine without doing some homework.

Most importantly, you need to know the CFM of your current 2-barrel carb. If it's small, say 400 CFM or less, you may have throttle response and economy problems going to a big (650 or larger) 4 barrel. "

" Thanks, Croozertoo... The me

" Thanks, Croozertoo... The message boards have confirmed your opinion about the intake manifold/carb question. so I'm turning my focus on a stainless prop & perhaps a low restriction flame arrestor - fairly safe investments, as I really do love the fuel economy & throttle response that I have now, and would be just sick if for the sake of a few m.p.h. of top speed I had opened up new cans of worms!
Flat water & clear skies to ya
Boatkrazi Bob "

Back