Logo

Reassurance on Ujoints

baytro23

Regular Contributor
"I have had a slight knocking

"I have had a slight knocking noise from my outdrive for the past few years mainly at trolling speed in a hard turn. When straight no noise. I've had the drive off and could not find any play in the u-joints or the bearing. No water or rust in there. Yesterday I noticed for the 1st time a vibration that was worse in the 2900-3100 rpm range. It smoothed out at 3200 and above but still was noticeable. I did a search on here and someone else had the same symptom and was reluctant to change u-joints because he too could not find any play. He replaced the bearing and that did not help, he then changed the u-joints and that did it. Just looking for reassurance, still have low speed hard over knocking and now the vibration. U-joints seem likely? correct?"

"[b]"U-joints seem likely?

""U-joints seem likely? correct?"

Ayuh,...

Even though they might feel Tight,..
They wear ridges in the cross bearings,+ chatter..."

"[b]"U-joints seem likely?

""U-joints seem likely? correct?"
I believe that Bondo is correct, and I'd have to agree! Slight wear on the "cross" bearing surface can be very difficult to feel by hand.

BTW: a friendly fyi; a "universal joint" (u-joint) is the "assembly" of all parts..... yoke/crosses/mid section/etc.
The part that we replace is a "cross" or "bearing cross" and sometimes called a "spider"."

"You could wait till they brea

"You could wait till they break,and maybe take out the whole outer transom assembly.
My point is that you know you have some type of problem that needs to be addressed. Did water ever get into the boot?.Are they lubeable joints?
Has the drive been serviced yearly?Believe me when I say that "U" joints are a lot cheaper to replace before they break.The way MOST people run their boats, a 3 years service replacement regardless of condition is a very good idea."

"Replaced them today, initial

"Replaced them today, initial test out of water under no load and all was quiet. No water in the boot, they were not lubeable but now are, I think they were original 14 yo joints. I will update after water test 1st of week."

Question: I have a 1971 invade

Question: I have a 1971 invader - 140hp volvo with a 165 hp merc stern drive (i think?) rattles when I turn left or right. It's getting louder. I think that I need to replace the bearings on the u-joint between the engine and the stern drive. Is their a easy to get to them and check them or do I have to take off the stern drive? I do not have a manual and would appreciate your suggestion on a good step by step manual.

Thank you

Timothy

"Timothy, Like with most tech

"Timothy, Like with most tech forums, it is best to start a new thread unique to your issue.
"Title" or "key-word" the thread appropriately and you'll get better responses. IMO.

Now, before doing so, I doubt that you have a V/P engine coupled to a M/C drive.

."

"[b]"Now, before doing so,

""Now, before doing so, I doubt that you have a V/P engine coupled to a M/C drive."

Ayuh,... And if you do, they don't print manuals for Junkyard Dogs...."

"Quote: [b]"Ayuh,... And i

"Quote: "Ayuh,... And if you do, they don't print manuals for Junkyard Dogs...."
Now just what engine are you calling a junk yard dog?
uhoh.gif
biggrin.gif
"

"ok,
When I replaced the star

"ok,
When I replaced the starter and points and rotor and spark plug wires I purchased volvo parts from napa. it is also labled a 140 hp Mercruiser sn# 3128490 with a Mercury stern drive sn 2988824. But according to NAPA it was a volvo engine. Thats why I said volvo. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I would love to know what would be the best step by step manual for replacing the u-joints and is their an easier way.

Thanks guys,

timothy"

scroll thru the idividule post

scroll thru the idividule post and find the one bondo posted called the back door is open again and pick the link that suits your engine and download it there free

"[b]"Quote: "Ayuh,...

""Quote: "Ayuh,... And if you do, they don't print manuals for Junkyard Dogs...."
Now just what engine are you calling a junk yard dog? "

Ayuh,.. A Volvo motor turnng a Mercruiser drive is a Junkyard Dog...
Or,...
A Merc. motor turning a Volvo drive, or OMC drive, or Vice Versa...

The Manuals can be found Here...."

to help bondo out a little wha

to help bondo out a little what he is saying is you mix those two together and you basicly have a mutt sorta speak i dont think hes dogging either or

Is the MCM140 made by Volvo? A

Is the MCM140 made by Volvo? After the MCM470 it wouldn't suprise me that Mercruiser would actually make a "Junkyard Dog" but they would at least make a repair manual to cover it.

update - the u-joints fixed th

update - the u-joints fixed the low speed hard turn knocking noise but not the vibration. I finally noticed the harmonic balancer wobbling a little. I originally noticed the vibration at higher rpm's but was able to feel it on muffs in the driveway after I was aware of it. Replaced the balancer today and it seems much smoother. Will water test 1st of week.

"Water test revealed vibration

"Water test revealed vibration still there. $60 down the drain. It was the prop. Evidently I hit a floater in the lake after all the rain we've had. Ran smooth with another prop. I put the correct prop (but vibrator) back on and using a small thin piece of wood compared the bent blade to the other 3. I would clamp the wood onto the outdrive at differant places and get it lined up with the 3 good blades, then bend the bad blade back to where it should be. Worked on it about 20 minutes. Spinning the prop with engine running around 1600rpm's made the vibration noticable even under no load. After I bent the prop back (who do I think I am? prop scan?) the vibration was gone. Time for another water test."

Back