Logo

OMC King Cobra Upper Gear Case What the Heck

fullthrottle63

"}Greetings to anyone that can

"}Greetings to anyone that can help. I just bought a 1989 Four Winns with a 5.7Ltr King Cobra stern drive. The problem is I can't identify this large screw located on the outside of the upper gear case. If you look at at the official OMC upper case scetch, this large srew is located on left side of the case. The scetch shows only the right side of the case,not the left side. It's directly on the opposite side of the cobra medallian part#58. I bought the official OMC manual and I can't even find it in this book. Anyhow, this screw is loose, dribbles water and I can't tighten it. So does anyone know what it is and how can I tighten it up????? Thanks"

"Ayuh,... Tighten it Up,+

"Ayuh,... Tighten it Up,+ go boating...

Do Not remove it,...You'll have to pull the drive appart to retrive the blindnut if you do.."

DONT REMOVE IT! It's a pre

DONT REMOVE IT! It's a pressure test port that was put in place by OMC just to test the unit. There is supposed to be a cobra emblem glued over it. IF you loosen it you will have to remove the drive to retrieve the nut and replace it. As for tightening it maybe try at different angle's???

"Thanks For the great advice g

"Thanks For the great advice guys. Now, looking at the schematic there is supposed to be a cobra emblem over this screw. Thanks for pointing that out. The blindnut keeps spinning when I try to tighten up the screw. Normally I wouldn't care, but it leaks a little water. I guess I have no choice but to take it apart to tighten it up. I should take off the drive anyway to grease up the drive shaft. Once the drive is off, is getting to that blindnut a pain in the butt?? Other then replacing the "gear housing to pivot gasket" are there any other gaskets to replace??. It seems that the last screw or bolt is always the one that gives the most problem. Thanks!!!"

just wedge the tip of a second

just wedge the tip of a second screwdriver or a seal pick behind the screwhead as you tighten it.
That will pull the nut back against the case.

If you remove the impeller hou

If you remove the impeller housing you can reach the back of the blind nut through the port side hole in the upper gear case with a second flat head screw driver. If your not dead set on pulling the unit for other purposes I would go that route. It's a tight little channel but it could save you the headache of pulling the entire unit. This would also give you an opportunity to inspect the impeller and the housings o-ring. Remember to apply some non hardening permatex to the oring and housing before replacing. Hope this helps.

Chris

"If you want to remove the dri

"If you want to remove the drive you can find instructions at
www.crowleymarine.com
look in product support under OMC Cobra drives, they have the whole procedure with factory shop manual pix. I built a drive stand to make it easier on my back, I'll try to add a pic
251417.jpg
drive stand

"Thanks for all the responses.

"Thanks for all the responses. All of you have great ideas and I'll follow them. Lou C., great photo of your simple stern drive wood stand. I was going to weld one together from channel iron, but yours seems cheaper and easier. Thanks"

"I built it from some 2x6s I h

"I built it from some 2x6s I had left over from another project, and added adjustable casters on the bottom, so I can get the height just right making lining it up easier. Here's another pic
251424.jpg
drive stand

Back