Logo

Gm 57 cam

"bought a reman. GM 5.7 . Want

"bought a reman. GM 5.7 . Want to change the roller cam it came with to another that has a fuel pump ecentric. So acquired a GM performance cam for the 383 truck engine. Someone told me that it will work with any 350 vortec engine. Measured the intake lift at 431 . PTVC was about .240 Does anyone know what the cam specs are for the OMC GM 5.7 (1996-2000) The seloc manual lists some but not lobe center line, etc."

"[b]"Want to change the ro

""Want to change the roller cam it came with to another that has a fuel pump ecentric."

Ayuh,... The Block isn't machined for a mechanical Fuelpump....
If it Was, the Cam will have the lobe..."

"As we know the original marin

"As we know the original marine block does not have machining for a fuel pump, but I am repowering with a GM 350 , 4 bolt main block , to use a mechanical pump. My question is about the cam specs. Might be the question is for a engine builder,"

"What year is your reman'd

"What year is your reman'd block? I understand that the 260 and 290 horse GMPP short blocks (pre '87 style) still have the mechanical fuel pump boss.

I feel like a baby bird about ready to fly out of the nest for the very first time here with offering advice amongst the experts. But I can tell you that an automotive cam may lead to engine problems or cause the engine to not run like it should under the heavy loads that a marine engine sees. Marine use requires a marine specific cam. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this.

A widely used marine cam is chevrolet #340284 with the following specs:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/hystat/cams.jpg"

Thanks to Hy Stat for the specs!"

"A machine shop said the year

"A machine shop said the year is 96-00. It could be an older block. The cam needs to be a roller lifter type. Flat type cams won't work because the lobes are taper ground. The specs on the #340284 are close in matching a 383 truck roller cam #14097395 I am planning to use, because it has a fuel pump eccentric and is a roller cam. I think it will enable low end power but will sacrifice power at WOT. Anyone have specs on a roller cam for the GM 5.7?"

"[b]"A machine shop said t

""A machine shop said the year is 96-00."

Ayuh,...

That block does Not have a fuelpump boos,+ is Not machined for a fuelpump....

You'll need to use an Electric Fuelpump..."

Back