Logo

Engine swap in Sea Ray 210

J

jsm

"I have a Sea Ray Bowrider 210

"I have a Sea Ray Bowrider 210 (21') with the 300 hp 5.7. Runs great, but have opportunity to acquire a new Crusader 8.1 (425hp)engine. Sounds interesting... does anyone know if this will bolt to the Alpha 1 drive, will it fit into the Sea Ray, and will the alpha 1 drive actually handle this much motor and cool it? The weight penalty is less than 100 lbs."

It can be done with some modif

It can be done with some modifications. If you have an alfa1 gen II drive you will probably blow it up. Merc used 454 330hp engines on alfa drives for 2 years and had to many of them get destroyed.

In my opinion that is way to m

In my opinion that is way to much power for that boat. It will be an accident looking for a place to happen.
The hull was not designed to handle at the speeds it would reach with that amount of power.
Best check with Sea Ray and see what they think about it.

I appreciate that the power in

I appreciate that the power increase can be problematic. Although it adds a lot to the cost.. would replacment of the alpha I with the counterrotating bravo III unit fix the handling concerns enough to make it all tractable?

thanks.. anyone done this before with this size/style boat?

"Well.. if I actually decide t

"Well.. if I actually decide to go ahead with this, I will sell the existing engine and drive. The drive is a 1997 alphaI genII with 132 hs on it. The engine is essentially brand new.. a Crusader 5.7 vortec (2004) with 32 hrs on it. 315 hp I believe.

I am pricing out everything now for the conversion... beginning to look like a big deal, and I really don't want to ruin the boat... so 50:50 at this point."

"You may be OK to use your Alp

"You may be OK to use your Alpha 1 drive. Chris 1956 indicated in a response to my posting "Upgrade a 4.3LX to 315hp 5.7" that a neighbor of his runs twin 454's with Alpha 1 drives. It must be a big boat, so the loading on the drives is significant.
Reusing your drive will keep your costs down and simplify the job of course. I understand a "drive shower" can be used to provide additional cooling for the drive.
Your drive ratio is likely 1.5; which I think is the lowest ratio available for the Alpha. I am not sure what ratios are normally used with the Bravo/454; it may be 1.36; so as to keep the prop at a reasonable pitch. You could always run a 23, 24, or 25" pitch with the Alpha of course."

"hi peeps im just wanting to s

"hi peeps im just wanting to sell a stern drive unit mercruiser was purchased by me from police auction so its got all parts still in one piece has the shaft w. joint down to the prop is all good shape i was told they couldnt I.D. the unit so i bought as is i was told there are no numbers to trace origin of manufacturing so im try selling unit for BEST OFFERS plzz contact me im @[email protected] i happened to be driving my car when a truck pulling a boat on trailer happened to have a unit that looked likethis unit i have it said mercruiser on that one,mine has no labels or numbers anywhere im looking right place?i dont know any info..could please be sent to same add..thanks Yall i have checked out online info allready iknow it mercruiser 1984-1992 alpha1one,i know there is different gearing internally for four cylinder or six cylinder or the eight cylinder will have different gearing and that is something i cant tell you for sure i DONT know off hand what the gearing is compatible with,so im selling as is for parts or repair but seems to be in good working order,,im in orlando florida s.o.b.t. after florida mall a few miles to just past central florida parkway make appoint see unit im very busy person"

Back