Logo

I need help with stubborn petrol inboard volvo engine

V

vincent crow

"I friend of mine has a petrol

"I friend of mine has a petrol volvo inboard engine on a launch style boat which we have recently tried to remove for a complete overhaul. We have dismantled the head and remobed everything from around the engine to leave just the engine block this is when we hit a problem, after removing all the holding bolts from the mount and the bolts from the bell housing leaving the block free to move but we can only get about 25mm seperation from the bell housing we can see the flywheel and the main shaft inside the housing but the engine refuses to come clean free away from the housing. Is there something we have missed or can anyone give me some suggestions on how we can get the engine free or what it is being held by as we need this out soon.
thankyou
Vince
[email protected]"

" The "stub" shaft is

" The "stub" shaft is probably frozen in the pilot bearing in the flywheel. If you take off the top section of the outdrive, there is 6 or 8 bolts in an aluminum ring. These bolts secure the bellhousing to the transom shield. Take them out and you should be able to pull the bellhousing and all. You will be able to tilt the motor vertically up as you pull it forward. When you have the thing out, you can play with getting the bellhousing off the engine. "

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
angry.gif
ok here goes... i have a 74 national 18' boat with a volvo 4 banger engine, which says E20 on it, and a 270 drive. when no load is on the motor, such as idle, or when the drive is disengaged, engine runs fine, and smooth, but then shuts off. when drive is engaged, smoke comes out of both of the carbs (1BBL carbs). it runs fine with the drive enaged up until about 1000 rpm, and then, when throttle is engaged, it bogs down SEVERELY, and wont speed up at all. i checked the jetting on it and they work fine. when throttle is backed down a little bit, the engine runs more stable, but still not perfectly. i replaced the plugs, gapped them properly, and checked the distributor, which seems fine. timing, though, is another issue, such as throttling up... it sounds as if it is missing, i dunno... also, the plug wires going to the distributor, are hooked up - in ascending order, ie: left to right, being 1-4. is this correct? also, which one of the plugs on the distributor cap is the number one cylinder? sorry for the long email but i wanted to be as elaborate as possible, and describe everything in detail. any help is GREATLY appreciated.... thanks again."

Back