Logo

Drive Oil in Bellows need parts list

schredder

"Greetings,

Last night I di

"Greetings,

Last night I discovered drive oil in the u-joint bellows. What O-rings/ seals should be replaced to fix this problem?

Also, should I go ahead and replace the u-joints and bellows that are only two seasons old? I think the u-joints may be making some noise, but this noise might be remedied by re-greasing the u-joints.

It seems counter intuitive, but I am assuming that drive oil is bad for the u-joints?

Thanks much,

Chris"

"The job is not that big, just

"The job is not that big, just get a upper gearhousing seal kit. Take off the upper unit. (I preferr taking off the whole drive, some on the board takes off the upper unit and leaves the rest hanging).
Take out the innput shaft and bearinghousing, (4 screws), unscrew the innput shaft with joint(1 screw) ,Change the seal!
If pivot bolts etc is not totally corroded, the whole job one hour +."

"It would escape from the shaf

"It would escape from the shaft seal into the bellows. But, you could also have grease splattered around the inside that appears to be oil."

"hmmm something to ponder. I

"hmmm something to ponder. I have not recently seen the drive oil level drop, but the engine (pleasesurecraft 302, been a VERY good engine), does seem to use/consume oil."

"Could You imagine the engine

"Could You imagine the engine oil leaking out of the rear cranck shaft seal, then the centrifugal force will help it to the outer part of the fly wheel, but! How does it manage to creep back into the center, follow the shaft, go trough two grease fitted bearings and into the bellow?
I think the oil comes from the drive!"

Back