Logo

318 water in oil %3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscusclipartsadgif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

p12

"I have recently purchased a 1

"I have recently purchased a 1971 32' Marinette with twin Chrysler 318s (225) w/raw water cooling. It has been stored covered since August 2004. I do not know how/if it was winterized.

The port engine oil is milky. I obviously suspect it's water. I put a sample of the oil on a q-tip and tried to light it, It popped like a candle would after sitting outside in the rain. The starboard engine seems fine and shows no signs of water in the oil after being run.

I am new to the 318 and fairly inexperienced with marine engines:

-Any suggestions on what to look at first?
-Common problems; any items/gaskets that are easy/cheap and should be done first, before pulling manifolds and heads?

The boat is currently on the hard at a yard. I don't want to pay to have it launched and find out that the block needs to be replaced and have to pay to have it pulled, but with that being said, I am limited to work I can do on it in the yard since I have no water source to hook to.

Thanks for your time and suggestions
, looking forward to getting another great summer on the water.

-Mike Patterson"

"You might try using compresse

"You might try using compressed air, 5 to 7 psi to verify an internal leak. Plug the exits, open the oil filler and listen for escaping air. Also, perform a compression test all cylinders.
DS"

"You can also run it off a hos

"You can also run it off a hose until it comes up to temperature. Change the oil, then run it for at least a half hour. You'll then know.

Good luck! I just blew up one of my 360s.

Jeff"

"Bummer on blowing the 360 Fas

"Bummer on blowing the 360 FastJeff. I look forward to replacing the 318s with 360s eventually (though not yet), my 32 Marinette express convertible should GET IT
biggrin.gif

I ran it on a hose, seemed okay, ran smooth, oil looked okay. Shut the engine off, after a bit, level seems to have raised about a 1/2-1 quart above initial level. Had to run it from the yard to my slip. Ran fine. Upon shutting engine down, level went up another 1/2-1 quart. No smoke out of exhaust. Total run time was about 30min on hose and 30 mins to slip.

So now I seem to have 1-2 quarts of water in my oil. It seems that the water is coming into the oil after I shut off the engine. There is a visible difference on the dipstick where it appears the oil/water haven't mixed after each time I shut the engine down and come back the next day (thus the crank was not rotating and mixing?).

I'm figuring a gasket or a manifold. I'll pull the manifolds and inspect them, if they're okay, I'll just get a head gasket kit and keep my eye out for a bad gasket as it comes apart. While I'm working, I'll install a new impeller.

Does this sound reasonable?

Anyone have a recommendation on head gasket kits? Does Sierra make one? Do I need the serial number from the engine or do all 318s take the same gasket kit.

Thanks
Mike Patterson"

"Mike:

Your approach seems

"Mike:

Your approach seems reasonable. A few points:

1. You can get STAINLESS marine head gaskets from Sierra and others.

2. If you have any problems getting the exhaust manifold bolts out, pull the whole works--heavy but two men can hamdle it.

3. Inspect the head and intake manifold gaskets very carefully, looking for anything suspicious.

4. Water can also enter from the exhaust manifolds, go through an exhaust valve, and eventually end up in the base. So take a good look at those as well. (You can make a plate to block off both ends and pressure test the things.

5. Have you become a member of our Marinette web site 'family'? Lots of good info on there. Here's the URL:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Marinette/messages

Also check out my web site:

http://fastjeff.tripod.com/

Jeff"

"Should I order a automotive h

"Should I order a automotive head gasket set, a marine head gasket set, or an automotive head gasket set and a set of Sierra head gaskets?

I didn't see a gasket set offered here at marineengine.com, this is the only marine gasket set I've seen; http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPo wer&Product_Code=DET59250HS&Category_Code=CHR0A

Are there any differences between what I'll get with an auto gasket set versus what I'll need? And if I should get an auto gasket set, do I get a gasket set for a particular make of chrysler/dodge with a 318 from the same model year (1971), or will any do?

Should I go ahead and get a Chrysler Marine Manual from marineengines.com for $62, or just use a cheaper auto manual?

Mike"

Get the stainless steel marine

Get the stainless steel marine head gaskets regardless of cost! The auto manual is just fine.

Jeff

"Thanks Jeff <[img]"http://ww

"Thanks Jeff
thumbs_up.gif

as a side note, a friend of mine has a 1975 37' Marinette w/Cat Diesels. From your page, I didn't know if you where aware that there are a few diesel Marinettes out there...of course, I'm in Louisville and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Marinette.

Mike"

"Lucky guy! My nearest big M

"Lucky guy! My nearest big M is on the other side of the Bay.

Jeff

PS: Know about those diesels, but I don't like any of their owners!"

"I have a cracked exhaust mani

"I have a cracked exhaust manifold. Failed a pressure check, and rust in the exhaust port, on the valve and I have low compression on that cylinder. I'm 130-140 on 7 of the cylinders and am at 95 on #6 cylinder. New manifold should arrive tomorrow, will install manifold, change thermostat, change impellers, and flush/change oil twice.... hopefully this will be it and I'll be out by the weekend.

P"

I have 2 Chrysler 318 engines

I have 2 Chrysler 318 engines BOth complete and they have exhaust manifolds in good condition. Located in Northern California.
Also have carburetors and other "stuff" Call 916 777 5510 for more info.

Back